Clarifying what “clean” means

My children (all 14 and above) and I have very different ideas of what it means to “clean” a bathroom.

This isn’t new though.  For years I would send them to clean the bathroom, only to find soap scum on the sink, water spots on the mirror and gross stuff in other places.  This is after we had worked together multiple times in what I thought was a teaching routine.  Apparently, even then, “clean” is subjective.  That’s when I decided to create a bathroom cleaning procedure.

So I didn’t miss anything, I took a notepad with me to clean my own bathroom.  I wrote everything down, in the order it was done.  Then I tweaked it, and made sure the language was specific and simple enough so there no misunderstanding.

The first time they had my list, I stayed close in order to clarify.  Because somehow, “clean all parts of the toilet” still was open to interpretation.  Hence even greater clarification.  You’ll note I clearly say not to clean the bowl.  This is because I don’t want my children leaving the cleaning solution in the bowl and forgetting, then having the dog drink it.  (Yes, that happens daily in my house! – both the forgetting and the toilet drinking)

Once the procedure list was complete, I put it in a plastic page protector and attached it to a clipboard and keep it by the cleaning supplies.  Here’s what my page looks like:

This idea can be applied to any situation where clarity comes in handy.

I’d love to hear any of your funny stories about miscommunication with kids about cleaning.  Or how could you use a procedure list like this?   If you are reading this in an email, click here to be taken back to my blog to leave a comment.   I’ll select one person at random to receive a cute Mary Englebreit clipboard to keep track of your own lists.

Thanks for joining me this week. Check back next week for more great Spring Cleaning tips.

Grace & Peace,

Comments

1. Linda Bolt says

For younger children, kids on the autism spectrum, or anyone who might respond better, it is also possible to take digital photos of the child performing each cleaning function. Print out the photos and either put them up on the wall in order, or make a special little cleaning photo album, with the photos in order. The child can be taught to follow the sequence of photos to complete the cleaning task.

We have done this in the past, also, with morning routines, such as washing face, brushing teeth, and so on.

It’s a great idea….wish I had had it when my daughter, now 29, was younger! I am sure we can both use it in the future for her daughter, who is 18 months old. After reading your excellent post yesterday, have been convicted that my role as her caretaker has changed focus and I feel I have a fresh perspective on how we should be spending our time together. I can see many more teaching moments while doing housework!! Thanks for your insights!

3. Deb says

I just want to say I appreciate all the different perspectives from you and your followers. We all do things differently, and can learn from one another. My 2 cents is I love the microfiber cloths that clean mirrors without chemicals. There is a company out there (didn’t know if it was okay to promote products) that has many wonderful products in their microfiber line. Cuts cleaning time, and does a fantastic job. Blessings!

Yes!!! I love those too. I use them on almost every surface except my kitchen counter. They are great on windows.

4. Rhonda says

This is a great idea…we actually do this at work also….I manage a hometown pizzeria and I have a clipboard for every area at our store. My day and night shift workers each have a sheet for their individual positions which include any “extra” tasks they are responsible for over(in their specific job area) and above our daily assignment board (which is a dry erase board that we write any prep that needs done or task for the day). We have made one area in which we hang them and each person is responsible to have their list done by a certain time each day to have a manager check it. Like you said when an employee is first hired in we introduce the list and a manager spends time with them doing each task it is very detailed several people think it is over kill but putting this procedure into place has saved tons of time and frustration! If they do not do something upto our standards they are asked to return back to the task until it is complete. Thanks for sharing!

5. Marsha says

Love this post. Makes me breathe a deep breath that I am not the only one out there that has really specific things I like done. For my oldest this method works, something very black and white for her to check off. My youngest is the free spirit, if I were to give her a list she would do just the opposite. So when asking her to do a chore often it’s just a little at time and nothing specific to that chore. So it would be like bathroom cleaning: Clean off the top of the sink please, nothing specific like shine the faucet or rinse the toothbrush container. She would just focus on the task and then be so proud to show me. After gulping a few times, I would praise her and then just move on as this little one is crushed at the slightest, “Wow, great job, however did you think about doing this? Mommy would like to show you.” For me sometimes “done looks like this” isn’t always my way of thinking, but to her it’s magnificient. I love the post above as well, thinking maybe photos would help her too. I appreciate these great post, surely gives me insight to my own process as well. Have a blessed Friday!

6. Keri says

This brought me back to my childhood when my Mother had asked me to “set up the ironing board” in her room. I did exactly what she had instructed. She walked in minutes later to find that I had not included the iron, much less had plugged it in to get ready for her use. From then on she would include specific instructions! I received my payback years later when asking my son to “put the clothes in the dryer.” Only to fetch them 30 minutes later to realize he never turned it on. LOL Oh the lessons we learn growing up and again while raising our own. Thank you for your encouraging posts! I do love to read them. Have a wonderful day!

7. Kristin says

I live with three messies (all over 13 and including my husband) and have for the most part given up on anything being cleaned or picked up without my doing it. Unfortunately they know that if their rooms/bathroom, etc… get bad enough mom will get desperate and do it for them. I’m feeling a renewed sense of responsibility and conviction that I’m doing them all a disservice. Thanks for the clipboard idea. I’m going to give it a try and hopefully they aren’t too old and set in their ways to change!

• Ellie says

Kristin, I find myself in the same situation. My kids are 18 and 19 and the house is a mess. I am raising my granddaughter, who is 3, and I think I need to rethink the ways things happen here. I am a messy who is trying to reform, and most in my house are messies. Making a change is complicated, but I need to do this.

8. Anonymous says

Funny enough, this is a good list for ME to employ for myself and master and then train my children. I was the youngest of four and was never trained to clean. Everyone just thought. I’d pick it up because i was there while they did things. But i didnt. Now as a wife and mother of two, this is one of my biggest challenges.

9. KARLA says

This list idea would have worked great with my daughter but not my son! He had ADHD & a list like this would have sent him into hysterics. I could only tell him one thing at a time or he was overwhelmed! It was toooooo much to do & he would fall aprt. I found with my 2 that an idividual approach for each child was needed.

It’s good to know your children and what works and what doesn’t. I’ve learned to ignore “expert” advice and go with my gut. Sounds like you’ve learned the same thing. Thanks for sharing.

I think my story would involve telling a certain child with Asperger’s to go and “bump the laundry” (switch the loads from dryer to basket, from washer to dryer, and start a new load). He dumped the clean & dry laundry from the dryer on to the floor, because he didn’t see an empty basket, then moved the wet load to the dryer, but never started a new one in the washer. In his mind, he had done what was asked and “bumped” the existing laundry. With his tendency to think in black and white, he didn’t think there was anything wrong with putting clean clothes on the floor, because he had complied with moving it out of the dryer. =D

I want to also add that for children with intellectual or developmental disabilities, it is important to break a task down like this and teach each individual step. Having some kind of a visual “story” or schedule for how to complete the task can be very helpful. There’s a number of apps out there for iPad/iPod/iPhone and other “smart” devices that do exactly this and can be taken with the child as they move from room to room to complete their chores. One of the great things about using strategies that work well with kids with disabilities is that those same strategies work well with all learners. A picture speaks a thousand words …. truly!

11. Kimberly says

I absolutely LOVE your ideas! I am in the midst of incorporating some of your ideas on organization.

I love the idea of making a detailed list for “chores”. Need it most for my 13 yr old son. I’m trying to practice what I preach about cleaning. I made a big chalkboard wall that is our family’s command center….I put a daily chore, different from regular daily chores, that needs to be done afterschool along with the daily things. My kids know what’s on the board needs to be done before play :)

12. Connie says

I think your detailed list is a must. As I have heard many times your vision and my vision may have the same end in sight but the road to get there can be very different. Can you come to my house and prepare lists for every room? I can than say see I am not the only one – LOL

13. Dawn Booke says

The list you have created is fantastic. I have two teenagers (boy & girl) and my daughter is awesome when it comes to cleaning her own bathroom, my son on the other hand could like with filth and not think anything of it. I myself sometimes get distracted on all the tasks that need to take place when I am in this area so having your list will definitely make it in my house as guidelines to clean all bathrooms. I will make this available for my kids as well so they will have no excuses as to forgetting something.
    Thanks for sharing.

14. Deborah Williams says

I asked my son to bring me the fly swatter, then did something else, and when I got back, there was a wet spot on the carpet. I was mad, and asked him what happened, when I realized that he had brought me the “fly’s water” and had spilled it. I’ll never forget that story. He was about 5.

Oh my goodness … this made me laugh out loud. And I shared it with my daughter and she laughed too. This is the sweetest thing I’ve heard in a long time. Thank you so much for sharing it.

15. Jeanne Harris says

I love this list. I am going to tweek it a little and use it for my boys, 16 and 13, and also for my husband. Thanks for the ideas.

16. Cristine says

Thank you for your amazing ideas. If your blog had been around when my son was younger it would have saved a lot of my hair! I’m going to tweak this list and keep it for myself in case of any senior moments when I’m doing my own cleaning. You might consider sharing the list with some of the local fast food restaurants so their staff can get a handle on things that need to be addressed. Thank you for all your ideas.

17. Kathy B says

I have not done this for the bathroom, but I do have a “Meal Cleanup” list posted on the fridge. Kids seem to be becoming increasingly literal. At our house we can’t just say, “Feed the rabbits.” We have to say, “Feed the rabbits and give them water.” I am also like “Anonymous” above. I was never taught to clean and it has been a real struggle for me.

18. Beckie says

The timing on this is PERFECT! Yesterday, I asked my sons, ages 20 and 15, to clean their bathroom. You would think they are old enough. But no. The only thing they did was to pick up their dirty clothes they had left. This will be on the mirror when they get home today! Surely they can read at this age, right?! I will be laughing at the thought of their seeing this all day! Thanks!

19. Ruth Welch says

My son and his friends were constantly coming in from play to get drinks, using a new glass everytime. I would run out of glasses before the dishwasher was full enough to run and have to wash the glasses by hand. Finally getting fed up, I told him he had to wash the glasses if they continued doing this. I left the kitchen and came back just in time to see him squirt dish liquid into the glass, wipe it out, rinse and dry. It occurred to me then that he had never seen me washing dishes and didn’t have a clue how to do it. We had a good laugh over it but from then on, they used paper cups!

Great solution. Some things just aren’t worth fighting over … especially when your son is doing something wonderful like playing outside!!! Too many kids have “forgotten” how to do that. LOL

20. Tammy says

What a great idea!! Makes me feel so much better to know that it isn’t just my boys who need details details detail to complete a job :) I do believe I need this list for my house too.

21. Cindy Lynn says

Thank you for all of your great cleaning ideas! I, too, wish I had written down specific instructions for my children, now 26 & 23! However, this is a great idea to pass along to my daughter in helping her keep control at her home! Have a wonderful weekend! Cindy Lynn

My children are grown and on their own, but now we have grandchildren. I think somewhere along the way I forgot how to be organized and how to clean. As life gets busier you tend to let little things slide. Then one day you are not so busy anymore and you take a look around and are in shock at the mess you are living in. I need lists now! I am going to start making lists for each room and retrain myself. And while I am at it, I will teach my grandchildren – I babysit during the week and they need to learn these life skills as much as I do!

23. Patti Hicks says

From one listmaker to another…great list! My sister is ADD and she sooo needed this and many other clipboards to stay on task when we were young. Gold stars on a chart are also motivating!

24. Janet says

Thanks for your details. My 23 year old thinks cleaning the bathroom is picking up clothes. Nothing is more disgusting than to see a sink full of hair, toothpaste, etc. I do believe she thinks a fairy waves her wand and everything is cleaned after every use! I’m going to try this. Unfortunately, even with a list, it seems to only get one or two steps completed. UGH…. I’m praying there is still hope!!!

25. amy martin says

Loved the breakdown into specific tasks. my eldest has developmental disabilities and i have had to train staff to clean rooms and i think the idea of hanging the clipboard by the supplies is brilliant. i don’t want her home (she is 36 now) looking like a facility, but i do want staff to get things tidy. yes, even adults need notes as each of us has our own standard for clean, and i have heard i am picky :o)
    God bless your day Glynnis!

26. April Keener says

This is a great list. This could be used in any room of the house…. for husbands too :) Actually, I think this would make a great list to use for me. I’m a very visual person and like to see things checked off. So on my big list of things to do I could have “clean bathroom” but also have the list of things to clean in the bathroom would keep me motivated. I despise cleaning bathrooms!!! Even when I was working fast food in my much younger days I told them never to ask me to clean the bathroom :)

27. Judy says

I used a similar technique after my mom passed away to help my dad learn how to do those tasks that she had always taken care of. The laundry was one I remember clearly. I posted a task list over the washer and dryer in order for him to know exactly how to use each. With a few supervised practices, he was able to follow directions and take care of his own laundry. He was very proud of his accomplishment!

28. Joy C. says

My kiddos are too little for lists like this – but this is a great tool to tuck away for when they are old enough to read!

29. samantha says

When my son was younger 6-7yrs old, I began adding on to his responsibilities as a contributing member of the home :0) In addition to keeping his room clean, he would now be in charge of maintaining a clean bathroom. The easiest way to do this was to allow a few minutes a day for cleaning. I thought of a simple schedule & printed it out with a page protector and taped it to the inside of a cabinet door for daily reference. The schedule was: Monday Mirrors, Tuesday Toilet, Wednesday Waistbasket, Thursday Sink, Counters, faucet (the only day that didn’t sound so catchy :0) Friday Floors. Of course I had to show him a few times how to get the job done; we stored all of hid cleaning supplies in one cabinet in the restroom & he felt so “big” to have his own non-toxic cleaning sprays & a variety of brushes :) he still does a great job & he is
    9 now! I usually never worry about the condition of the bathroom our guests will use when they come for a visit :0)

30. Barby says

Our nephews came to visit my husband and I and our two your daughters for two weeks when we lived in Iowa. The whirlwind of making sure their vacation with us was filled with trips to the local adventure park, ice-cream bar stand, lake, etc. etc. had taken it’s tole on the inside of the car. I was on the phone one morning and asked the oldest one of the kids ( they were ages 5-12)….to carry out a car cleaning expedition. We were scheduled to go boating with a friend in a short time and I thought it would be good to arrive in a nice cleaned out car. ( I know I explained minimally how to clean out the junk inside the car.)…..because when I came outside to leave for our next adventure they were all standing there with wall-mart trash bags in their hands, and puzzled looks on their faces, staring at me…..and glancing at the trash heaped car. For 20 minutes they’d been down there and just couldn’t figure out how to do it! I pretty much went a little “mom crazy” on them, grabbing a couple bags and over exaggerated how “trash goes in here……wet bathing suits that belong in the house go here!!!” etc…..I quickly cleaned it myself….loaded 5 kids who were wondering who this crazy mom/aunt was, in the car and backed out the driveway. As we headed up the street I apologized to them for how I’d “lost” it….and I began to make up a song and sing….”This morning, this morning, aunt Barby , she lost it….she really really lost it today”……and spontaneously the oldest nephew chimed the end of the song with “Hallelujah”! Everyone in the car broke out in laughter and we sang the song all the way to our next boating adventure. ( that was 9 years ago….)…But, to this day when we are together….we all remember and occasionally sing the song!

31. An Hern. says

I don’t have any especially funny cleaning stories but I love this idea! I am sure my children have done some of the same things other children have done and we all definately have different ideas of what clean is, especially in the car. I have one child that will especially love having the clip board and checking it all off. Thanks!

32. Lucy Chappell says

I love this post. I need a check-list myself, or I get distracted and don’t finish what I’ve started. I wish I had had this when my sons were younger. Now that they are 21 and 23 and moving to dorms and apartments I may print out the list for them along with a “cleaning supply basket” as a house-warming gift! (They’ll laugh, but it might sink in!) Thanks for your blog and ideas!!!

33. Jessica Budd says

Your post today had me laughing because it reminded me of the Amelia Bedelia books. Thanks for bringing me a smile today.

• Jaylene Horning says

I love the post, I need this post, it makes me realize that I need to use lists more for my tasks. I tend to get side tracked and lose my focus. It will help my kids as well. I love reading your ideas and have started to use some of them.

34. Sharon says

My daughter is only 2, so the only cleaning she does right now is picking up her toys. But, I could use this for myself!!! I was not taught how to clean as a kid and still have no idea what I’m doing as I attempt to keep a somewhat clean house (at least when company is coming over!!!) As my daughter gets older, a list like this would be very helpful for her, too.

35. Phyllis says

I love this idea! I was never taught to clean as a child, but I think I do a pretty good job. However, I tend to get distracted easily, so a list to follow would help me stay focused. Now, if I could just do this for the rest of my house!!

36. Debbie Kirkland says

Great idea. I plan to do this for my 11 year old daughter. I’ve shown her and told her many times, but still go into a bathroom she says she’s cleaned and find the sink still dirty, the mirror streaked, and the toilet swished, but the seat not cleaned. Can’t wait to see how this improves her cleaning skills. I plan to do one for cleaning her room, also.

37. Karin says

I have had to work through what “clean” or “done” looks like in our house as well. I have had laundry folded but not put away (“what?…you told me to fold the laundry” says my future lawyer and legalistic first-born daughter! She must have thought the clothes would walk themselves to their dresser drawers and jump right in!) I have made up checklists for many cleaning jobs and then trained them as if I was Martha Stewart doing a segment on her show. It is always hilarious but I get my point across. I also added a sign to the mirror that says “Is this bathroom ready for the next person to use it?” That cuts down on the stray hairbrush left on the counter.

38. Jen says

Glynnis~ A sincere thank you for posting your bathroom cleaning procedures. This is such a great idea! Will you please post your cleaning procedures for your other rooms (no, I’m not kidding :)? This information is useful for some of us :).

• Luz says

Thank you. Easily distracted mother of three in need of lists to stay on track! Thank you thank you. This posting has brought ideas of clarity. I can see victory of a much cleaner home.

39. Tre says

What a great post! I had to laugh at the toilet drinking, yup, so true! For my now grown stepson, taking out the trash meant piling it on the balcony (we lived on the second floor apartment.) Nintendo took priority over smelly trash. Only when I raised my voice just a little, or starting to see fruit flies, did kiddo and husband jump up, pull our truck up to the balcony, throw it over the side and drive off to the dumpster. Much chagrin yet a few laughs as a bag occasionally split open on it’s ride from balcony to truck! Thank God we did not have cell phones with cameras back then. A You Tube moment!

Peace and blessings!

40. Missy M says

So, so good. I’ve just started this process for the AM/PM pick-up that needs to happen in the bathroom. .clothes, etc. This is an added step that would be great when they are assigned to clean the bathroom. . usually I’m just telling them what to do next.. . having a list they refer to would be great!

41. shirley says

my 4 kids are all grown now, 23 – 30, but when they were younger i had index cards taped to the washer and dryer with VERY specific instructions for how to do laundry. i used packing tape and completely covered the cards so they wouldn’t suffer water damage.

one comment on the bathroom cleaning list….make sure you somehow permanently mark EXACTLY which toothbrush is the one for cleaning…..just sayin! LOL!

You are right about the toothbrush – that’s a great idea! A permanent marker would be an easy way to mark it for cleaning. Thanks!

Good idea to “show and tell” as well as write the in-depth instructions down — it is easy to miscommunicate with words on a paper—we don’t all use the same definiition for words. Example: When my grandson was 5 and ready to be enrolled in Kindergarten, my daughter told him, ” I’m taking you to school to “register” you.” My husband and I owned a “mom and Pop” grocery store at the time. Our grandson looked at her and said, “Mom, when are you going to “price me out” (cash register in his thinking—the only kind of “register” he knew and understood. We’ve chuckled over that comment over the years. Please pray for this grandson (20 now) who is in the Navy and stationed away from home—he was in a bad motorcycle accident 8 days ago and is still in the hospital. Thank you for your posts that are sooooo helpful!

Joyce – what a sweet story about your grandson. And I’m praying right now for his complete healing.

• Luz says

Praying for a speedy recovery. Please thank your grandson for his service. I too have a sister in the Navy and understand the commitment and sacrifice your grandson makes. God bless you and your family. May God strengthen you during this time.

• annette says

Joyce, I am praying John 14:27 for you, and Jeremiah 29:11 for you grandson. I am an Air Force wife and know that only His presence can restore peace to our weary souls and help us to have a joyful attitude. Also, one of my son’s had his femur crushed while working the the Appalachian oil and gas fields and had a year long, painful recovery. While he had many difficult and long days ahead we could see Isaiah 58:11 ~ the Lord guiding, satisfying his needs and strengthening his frame. And he is now like a well-watered garden,like a spring whose waters never fail. So, I also pray Isaiah 58:11 for your grandson.

43. Marla says

I did a sheet like you described for the laundry and put it over the washing machine. It is amazing…especially with boys…how they need step by step instructions for something we thing should be so simple.

I clean it that day when they are through. Three of my kids have attention issues, so I’d rather be safe than sorry. :-)

44. Kristi says

Oh this is such a perfect idea. I have been trying to get a plan together to start teaching my 6 year old twins how to help clean parts of the house.

45. Holly says

What a great list! Wish had seen this years ago. Not a funny story but it is interesting that some people think clean means not cluttered. Had roommate like that & my dad is the same way. Kind of funny, while you don’t want your children to clean the inside of the toilet bowl — that is all my dad does when he cleans the toilet. Don’t get me wrong, while trying at times, moving in with my dad has been a blessing for both of us.

46. Elaine says

Glynnis:

I love this idea. I am going to print it out and use it for my stepson, who turned 14 in January. He has ADHD and is always trying to take the easy way out. We just finished remodeling our basement for a bigger bedroom and bathroom for him alone and as detailed as this is, it will be great to have clear/concise and unquestionable directions/instructions. Thanks so much for all your ideas.

47. Rhonda says

Just starting with my only child, a two year old, getting pick-up-toys routines going. However, I REALLY appreciate all the tips you’ve given this week as well as your readers. I hope my home will return to ‘normal’ clean as he gets older. :o)

48. Rebecca says

This is a great idea. I have used lists for my children but never thought about one for this – like how to clean the bathroom. We have done “Morning Routine”, “After school routine”, & “before bed routine” and various other lists when I needed them to do things in their rooms, but this idea is really good! I will be working on this! What a help, thank you!!

49. Nancy says

What a great list! I’m going to have to try it out with my husband! (Our definitions of ‘cleaning the bathroom’ are entirely different, too!!! lol) Thanks so much & God bless! =)

50. Beth says

This is a great list. I have done something similar with 3 x 5 note cards. I made a few notecards with “easy” household cleaning jobs, and a few with “difficult” household cleaning jobs. I color coded them and can now tell my kids, “Yes, you may play a video game, after you have finished doing one “yellow” job. :)

Wow – I love this idea. I imagine that keeps things equal too. My kids have always compared the hardness level of the jobs I assign them.

51. Beth B says

Thank you for sharing your list. My 13 and 10 yo daughters have written a “business proposal” and want to start a business of cleaning our house this summer for money to buy a phone and pay for a data plan. Last summer if I wanted it done, I had to break it down in steps to make sure it got done. Silly me, it never dawned on me to write it up and put it in a sheet protector so i could re-use it! sigh, many a morning I would sit and write the complete list of things to do before leaving for work. I was really dreading it this summer if I had to do it AND pay them for it. I’m so glad that you are there to save us in our ditzier moments of life… Bless you!

52. Virginia says

My favorite cleaning story is from our son’s childhood when he was cleaning the bathroom sink and got water all over the bathroom floor; you can imagine my amazement,shock,and terror to discover him using the vacuum cleaner to get the water up ! Oh my…so thankful I discovered him before tragedy hit ! I guess I should have been much more specific about what to vacuum !

53. Nancy says

I love this! Not only is it helpful for kids but myself too. I am recovering from 6 months of chemo which has left me with “chemo brain” :) A side affect where I lose concentration easily. I’m thinking about making a how too list for lost of things I do now so that I can check things off as I go. Thanks Glynnis!

54. Elaine says

This is similar to how I “attack” bathroom cleaning. I never quite “trust” my boys (ages 19 & 22) to do it, but I realize it’s an important skill to learn. I find that it’s SO important to have the bathroom AND kitchen clean. Thank you for giving these helpful details!

55. Robin Still says

I love this posting today about cleaning. While I have come to realize that what I think is clean, is not what my children think is clean. I take time to show them how I clean and what I expect….but again what they see is not what I see. So as I have gotten older, I just let go and let them clean the way they think is best. It is not worth fighting over. I will be sharing your list with them so maybe, just maybe they will see things differently.

Thank you so much for sharing your insights with us…you are a blessing.

Smiles and Blessings,
    Robin :)

56. Carissa D. Huffman says

I would love some suggestions about how to make this idea work with my 3 year old. Maybe pictures? Something really simple to remind us what he can do to help Mommy, and flexible enough to change as he grows. Any ideas? ;)

Blessings!
    Carissa in eastern Iowa

57. Kay says

Thank you so much for this list. I have a ten year old boy that i am starting to make help clean his bathroom and help with his laundry etc. This is a great way for us to do it together for now and as he gets older alone. (maybe)

Thanks again & God bless

58. Valari Avilez says

I like the idea of detailed lists of how to clean a room. My oldest doesn’t help much with the cleaning but my 4 yr old and her almost 3 yr old brother do.I am constantly trying to get her to at least clean up after herself…she is 9. I worked as a hotel housekeeper for awhile so I am almost over obsessive on clean bathrooms. Love your blog. :)

59. Luz says

I knew I should of purchased that clip board I saw at the store this morning. No wonder I had an urge to buy it. I need one to help me stay on track! : ) seriously, thank you for the wonderful idea. I look forward to more ideas to come. God bless.

60. Kathi says

My 16 year old son and I definitely have a different idea of clean, especially when it comes to the bathtub. But I continue to work with him and send him back to do it again because I love him and his future wife too much to let him get away with taking the easy way out.

61. Bridget says

Thank you for the cleaning list and clipboard idea! I love it! My children are 5 and 9 and they need step by step instructions, so this will help a lot! Thanks for all the great cleaning tips!

62. Tammy says

This is an excellent idea! I have worked with my kids at cleaning, but it is never quite the same when I send them to do it on their own. This is an excellent way to guarantee that they understand the procedure. You could do the same with any other chore and keep them in clear protective sheets or laminate them and tape them to the inside of the cupboards.

What a great post on clearly giving directions. My kids are grown but have grandkids who actually want to help clean the bathroom and have to periodically give them instructions.
    Rebecca

64. Shannon Hartman says

Hi Glynnis!
    Loved to hear how you water your house plants with left over water in glasses. I used to do this always too, then someone left undiluted white vinegar in a glass! You guessed it! Because I’m not in the habit of smelling each glass, a few of my house plants got doused with vinegar and it took them just a few hours to start blackening and die!! Oops

65. B A Martin says

Saving water: When changing the pet’s water empty what’s left in the bowl(s) into a watering can for use on both inside and outside plants.

I probally could use a list to help me with my chores. It wouldn’t be as long as yours though.

I have a M.E. tearaway calendar. I love seeing the pictures and various sayings on each page. Last year I had a wall calendar with some of her work. That’s how I was first exposed to it.