Hard times + Prayer = Miracles

I’ve noticed some common conditions for miracles in Scripture:

1)  They tend to start with a problem

2) Usually it’s really big

3)  One that man can’t solve on his own

4)  With some fear and pain added to a basic foundation of helplessness.

Does that sound like where you’re at today?  If you are joining me today after reading my devotion about God not wasting pain, I’m so glad you stopped by.  If you are a regular reader, I’d love for you to read my devotion today as I share a bit more of my life that I normally keep private.

You see, I’m no stranger to facing a problem I can’t fix on my own.  I’ve been there many times.  But nothing prepared me for being entrusted with two little girls who had been wounded by others, both indirectly through selfishness and hunger for power, or directly through neglect and greed.  Every day I face problems that my education and experience can’t “fix.”

And there are days when I feel on the edge of despair.  The wounding is so deep; it’s rewired thought processes and damaged their abilities.  And as I wrote about in my devotion, my family has entered in to their suffering … and it’s hard.

If it weren’t for the hope and promise of God’s power, I would give in to the despair, because in myself I am not enough.  I don’t have what it takes to repair the damage done.  But I know Someone who can.

And it’s in this exact situation … when you have no idea what you are going to do … that conditions are ripe for a miracle.  At least that’s what I see when I read Scripture.  Let’s take a look at a few situations.

• The Red Sea is parted as the Israelites escape slavery with Egyptians hot on their heels (Exodus 14)
  • A widow and her sons are saved from debt and slavery by oil miraculously appearing.  (2 Kings 4)
  • A wedding banquet runs out of wine and Jesus turns water into wine.  (John 2)
  • God resurrects Jesus from the dead.  (John 21)

Time and time again God performed a miracle in the midst of very difficult conditions. People needed help.  God stepped in.

If you are facing a difficult situation, I hope these stories from Scripture encourage you.  And there are many more.  In fact, I found this list of the miracles of Jesus online.  Click here to read it.

I believe God is waiting for us to call on Him for help.  He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.  So we can trust that He will answer our prayers. And even if the answers aren’t what we hope, He is always working things out for the good of those who love Him.

It seems to be human nature to give up on prayer when we don’t see an immediate answer.  We can think God has passed us over and moved on to someone else’s concern.  But God doesn’t forget like we do.  He isn’t impatient.  And He cares more about doing things right than doing things fast.

So if you are just hanging on, I hope this post encourages you to hang on just a bit longer.  Help is on the way.

Thank you for joining me today.  Although I may not know you by name, I’m praying for each of you who visits my blog today.  God knows your situation, and I’m pleading with Him on your behalf.  I believe some of you will see miracles today.

In His love,

P.S.  If you are reading this in an email, please click here to leave a comment on my blog.

Comments

1. Joy says

Good morning. Your message was a blessing to me today. Thank-you. I prayed that the Lord give you His peace today. God Bless You.

• Anonymous says

Thank you.I’ll hang in there a little longer.my stomache turns each time I think of this predicament iam in.

2. Kim P says

I need to remember that I’m the weak one and God the strong one… The world tells me otherwise! Tkx for being the vessel and sharing your heart and God’s word.

3. Annie says

Wow – I’ve just lived out your devotion… the Lord has just brought a precious little girl into our family through the miracle of adoption. We have one adopted daughter (3 years old) and now another one (3weeks old this Friday). Both of their stories are very different. However; our newest addition came in a way I couldn’t and wouldn’t have even thought of planning, but Praise the Lord, I would do it all over again because of His power at work in and through her coming into our family. The past 2 weeks may have been the hardest 2 weeks of my life and even on my marriage, but Praise the Lord – His steadfast love endures forever and He has brought this bundle of joy to our lives. My husband and I are healing as we care for this dear one the Lord has entrusted to our care. Thank you, sister in Christ, for sharing your heart.

4. Lorraine Nyahora says

Hie,

Thank you for such an encouraging message, even as God’s children during hard times we struggle to see him, we wonder and question if at all he cares. But today I am reminded of his love and his presence in my life during hard times. I truly believe also that before God makes a miracle he makes a mess.

Friend look at our mess, you will find your blessings, look at how big is your mess and you will definitely see how big is the miracle. Will be praying for Anne and her husband and congratulations on the coming of your new adopted little baby girl. God bless you and your family. Once again thank you Glynnis this was well needed and I love you. God bless you and your family.

5. Anonymous says

Im truly thankful for your devotion this morning! God really ordered your steps way today. God bless you & your family.

Regards,
    D. Rogers

6. Anonymous says

Im truly thankful for your devotion this morning! God really ordered your steps my way today. God bless you & your family.

Regards,
    D. Rogers

7. Mimi says

I so needed this devotion this morning. The message in church was taught from 2 Corinthians 12 and that brought tears to my eyes. I’m literally at my wits end and I don’t know if there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. It is taking everything in me to stay even a little bit encouraged. I know God has a plan and I know He’ll work everything out for my good but how do I keep from getting discouraged when it doesn’t look promising. Please pray for me. I need Jesus to show up today in the flesh.

• Anonymous says

Mimi,
      As soon as I read your post my heart went out to you…… And immediately a scripture came to mind, but the actual translation of it is from The Message version of the bible.
      Isaiah 43, particularly where it states….”when you are between a rock and a hard place, it won’t be a dead end.”
      It’s not a dead end, Mimi. His love will bring you out.
      Love, Danese

• Joyce says

Mimi -

As I pray for you, tears are rolling down my face, sensing your pain but knowing God will intercede in a ‘fleshy’ way. Be hopeful and steadfast.

In His Love,
      Joyce

• Cynda says

Mimi,

My heart hurts for you. I feel the same way. I pray that you will believe you will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living (Psalm 27:13). Lifting you up in prayer.

• Anonymous says

Mimi-

There is hope for you today and I want you to know that God knows exactly where you are right now and He is willing to literally pick you up and hold you in His arms and carry you throughout this day. To be honest, I have felt the same way because I am dealing with a medical condition that is serious but I know that my God is bigger than this condition and He cares. I will be praying for you today and that you will feel the presence of God in a very special way today.

8. Stacy says

boy I needed this reminder, as my husband and I walk with our 5 yr old son, waiting for God to do a miracle for us all. It is hard waiting while you hurt and feel it does not get better. but you know that you know what God says. And when God is all you have.

Good reminder of God’s care & faithfulness. Sometimes the miracle is that we are sustained by Him in the midst of the suffering. The pain is not what we want, but it is the pain linked with the ability to endure it that others see. To them, & to us, it is a miracle. Praise God for He has not left us alone…

• marsha says

I have always heard that…sometimes the Lord calms the storm….other times he allows the storm to RAGE & CALMS HIS CHILD!!! God bless you in this storm…HE is NEVER CLOSER THAN WHEN THE STORM RAGES!!

10. Heather says

thank-you for today’s devotion. It speaks to the heart of our situation. We adopted a 10 year old a number of years ago. the journey has been very painful for the whole family. It is hard at times to keep the perspective that the child has pain, even as they are saying and doing hurtful things to you and others. God cares, knows and is in control of all things. Thanks again.

As usual, very beautiful. There are many things in my life I can’t fix. My husbands illnesses for one. Over time we both just have left it to the Lord and try to focus on the things he can do instead of what he can’t.

Thank you for your encouraging words. I’m learning to trust in the Lord instead of depending on myself. I’m tired…I want to give it all to Him.

If your girls have suffered at the hands of bad people they are scarred and only your love and the Grace of God can heal those wounds. It takes a long time. Just know you are making a huge difference now, and in their future.

Bless you!

13. Katie says

I needed every one of these words this morning. I’m sorry for your daughters suffering, and for yours, and mine too. Thank you Lord Jesus for seeing past the hurting.

14. Edie Clavelli says

Thank you for your inspirational message today. God sent – for sure – our 22 year old son has just fallen so hard on his path in college and for the first time since his birth, I , his mother feel at a loss for words and how to help him. As a result, prayer, although I am not quite sure that my prayers are what they should be, has been sooooo…… focused towards him. Thank you Glynnis for your heartfelt message. I wish I could thank you in person – you are a wonderful mother!

Peace,
    Edie Clavelli

15. Tess says

Thank you, God is some awesome. You spoke right to what’s been going on in my life. The battle isn’t mine, it’s the Lord and he heard my cry to send this message today. Battles come and go but the pain hurts deep, and just last night I called out to him and this morning the message was confirmed. Let me handle it!!!

16. Ashley says

LOVED your honesty and true heart in your devotion today. I too am a mother of two internationally adopted children, one having come from a very hard place. You spoke of my life cor the past two years – praises it is so much better!!!! Right now MANY Christian families are disrupting their adoptions because of exactly what you are talking about. This area of adoption needs a voice. I am walking closely with a dear friend who wants to disrupt, she is lonely and scared and possibly facing divorce. There are a lot of adoptions blogs and books, but so few dealing with REAL experiences.
    We have a wonderful adoption community in our town that meets regularly – I cannot wait to share your devotion. Thank you for being a voice!!!!!

Ashley,

My friend, Kathleen has three biological children and she and her husband adopted four siblings from an orphanage in Poland over 10 years ago. She has a great blog, Positive Adoption, and I think you’ll find some great encouragement there. The address is: http://kguire.blogspot.com/

Selena

17. Karen says

Thank you for sharing – raising children is such an act of faith – praying daily, multiple times a day to make it!

18. Lisa In Virginia says

I needed this today. We just came back from the Emergency Care where we discovered my husband has blown out his bicep tendons in his right arm while helping to move a piano at church last night. He had to cancel an important speaking engagement, and of course he is out of work . SO much has gone sideways in our lives over the past year, and now this. Thank you for the encouragement.

My challenge is 24/7 pain of RA. I called out 911 to God to take away this pain. Still no relief, even with meds. So what now?

• Kimberly says

Terri: I feel your pain. I went through 1.5 years of counseling, on meds now, took 5 xanax last saturday to drown out. It is hard. I will pray for relief. All I can say is that God is not giving up on us. God is not fast sometimes cause He wants to do it right. We live in a microwave society and want reliefe now. Sometimes we endure pain, but God will relieve it. I promise. Keep praying and Be still and know that HE is GOD.
      All the best. Prayers are with you now. Kimberly

• LC says

Terri, my neighbor was struggling with the delibilating effects of RA a few years ago, but she is on Humira and is doing so well now. It took a while to show improvement because of her condition, but she works in the yard and is able to take care of her home again. I pray you will find medical help and relief for your pain.

• marsha says

Terri…I understand your pain to a degree…I have fibromyalgia & severe osteoarthritis…Remember “HIS GRACE IS SUFFICIENT, and HIS POWER IS MADE PERFECT IN WEAKNESS”….I pray for God to intervene for you with HIS POWER & HIS GRACE…May He lead you to a place of comfort & help you to endure this trial of Pain…GOD BLESS YOU MY SISTER!!!

In additon…I am a nurse and would say to try some gentle movement therapy to loosen your joints…swimming is good, hot tub therapy,stretching exercises and massage….Praying for your healing!!!!

20. Anonymous says

Thank you for sharing your heart and encouraging me today,I truly needed it. Most of all thank you for praying for me and and all the wonderful ladies on this blog. I am also praying for you, and for all of us to see God’s hand move in our lives today. God bless you, Glynnis..and all my sisters in the Lord here on this very page!

LA : )

21. Lynn says

Thank you so much for being willing to be open and honest! We adopted a 7 year old internationally 13 years ago. It has been a very, very hard journey. Usually the Christian community is not open with these kinds of struggles. I have felt judged and have had many Christians tell me what I should be doing. But God worked and grew me in my pain over the years. I am grateful for a Christian counselor who walked with me and my child’s pain. It is still hard and the child is grown now. Thank you again.

22. Anonymous says

Wow! Today’s devotional was perfect timing. Last night I spent time with the Lord just crying out. I’ve grown so indifferent to things, my prayer was all I really feel anymore God is pain. That’s the only feeling I have and I tell myself to get my bootstraps up and keep moving forward. I decided last night I don’t want to live there anymore and I just want Jesus to step in, whatever it means for the day. I needed this encouragement to remind me to just let Him have today. In everything. God is good. Thanks for being a vessel of His truth.

23. Kimberly says

I read this first verse first thing this morning a I took the doggies outside. WOW!!!! I knelt down in the grass and sand and cried and prayed and shouted for HIS HELP, Thank you Lord for pointing this out to me today.

I am going through some hard times right now and I took 5 Xanax last Saturday to help drown out the pain and suffering. I chose xanax instead of going to God first. I am seeking some counseling to help me.

Thank you for this scripture. God led me to it today I know that in my heart. Please pray for me to continue seeking HIS will not mine.

Kimberly

One of my favorite devotions friend. Thank your or being so vulnerable and for giving us hope in the midst of our own painful “impossibilities”. I know reading today’s post will be like drinking from a well of Living water for so many!! {love you!}

25. Lynda says

I live in the neighborhood where a dear christian family have adopted two beautiful children
    these babies as my husband and l call them (they are now 5 and 4 ) are great kids ,they adopted at birth from our local pregnancy care agency, l know with any child we don’t know what the furture holds. How can we help as a commuity! I am that neigbor where when they see me out they want to come over to have a snack, and mom is embarrassed yet she will join us for a treat LOL that makes ms Lynda’s house special, because they live across the street l ask mommy to plan a night out with daddy and let the kids have an over night with us they had a great time , me not so much LOL thats not going to happen to often! Now is the fun but l know rough days may be ahead when and if they do how can we stand along side them being support for them and being there for the children

26. Heather Little says

Thank you Glynnis. As so many have said above, I needed to hear this today. My husband and I are struggling with whether it is God’s will for us to adopt internationally. I want to so badly, but am not sure if it is MY desires pushing it or His. My husband worries that I have an idealized view of how adopting will be. It is very good for me to hear truth! Thank you for your willingness to share your own struggles. I am saying a prayer now for your family and your sweet daughters. Blessings. :-)

27. Julie says

Thank you so much for today’s post! I enjoy reading your daily blogs and sometimes more than others. Today would be one of them. Sadly, my husband and I didn’t make it through our problems and ended up divorced. I know that we still love one another and I know that I need to let God work whatever plan he has and that I need to be patient. Thanks for being part of my daily life! Prayers and hugs!

Julie

28. Lori says

Thank you. I appreciate the prayer and I am praying for you and your family, especially your precious girls. I have adopted internationally too. I am also waiting for and expecting God’s miracles in a life struggle now. I will keep believing in His promises and crying out for His help.

29. Rosanna says

It’s always amazing to me to see how God works. Today I came to work with feelings of regret and trepidation. I am so unhappy but at the same time I am thankful that I have a job to come to. As I was going through my emails I opened one from our prayer group and found this website instead. God knows His child and He knew I needed to know that He’s still here beside me. Thank you so much for these wonderful words.

30. robyn says

Thank you for this truthful reminder. Please pray for my oldest daughter who is a prodigal at the moment. Thank you and I will pray for you also.

31. Rhonda says

Thank you. I needed to read this today: I am just exhausted spiritually. I have a sister who refuses to let go of the death of her husband and move forward after two years; a son who is 21 and ‘burning’ every bridge in life because he won’t take responsibility for his own life and actions; a man who is trying to ‘push’ me into marriage when I’ve only been out of an abusive marriage a year and a half now. I do not want to marry and doubt I ever will…. I have allowed all of the above to take place because I am an enabler…..now I’m stuck. All I want to do is serve my God – who has delivered me from my ‘mess’ and trying to turn it into His ‘message.’ But the above won’t allow me to move forward…….if I do, I lose them. I need your prayers. Thank you for all that you do.

• Sue says

I love how you said God delivered you from your “mess”, and is turning it into His “message.” Keep building up your faith with God’s Word. It might be a red flag that someone you love is trying to “push” marriage on you. Have you read the books, Boundaries (by Cloud & Townsend), and “Why Does He Do That?” (by Lundy Bancroft)? Praying for you…

32. Lori says

Thank you so much for today’s devotional. I suffer from anxiety and there are days when I just melt from the demands of running my household and raising my children. Your message today provided me with the encouragement I needed.

33. Cynda says

Thank you for your devotional regarding our pain. I was crying out this very thing to God this morning. I am struggling today, on the edge of despair and needed the reminder to step back & let His power take over. So much seems hopeless in my marriage right now. Seeing your devotional in my inbox showed me God knows & cares.

34. Carol says

“God’s power takes over when I step back.” This will be my battle cry when the doubt comes creeping in. Thank you Glynnis and all you other beautiful ladies who have posted here, for sharing and blessing me with your words.

35. Lisa Griffin says

Thank you Glynnis, I too am waiting for that miracle. This is exactly what I needed to hear today. Your words will carry me through the day.

36. Missy says

Thank you so much for this timely message. It really hit home with me today and gave me some much-needed encouragement. Bless you!

37. Cheryl says

Thank you so much for your word. It brought tears to my eyes and helped me to remember that when I can’t “do” anything God “will” do something big! I really need a “big” miracle. It is especially hard when your children are “grown” and are making bad decisions. There are so many whys and what did I do wrong? Lord, I took them to church and they seemed to love you so much as children. The list goes on and I am sure others are struggling with much bigger issues, however what do you say to a son who has chosen an alternate lifestyle?? Still acts like everything is Great, goes to church, volunteers and listens to christian music, however he is on the fence and will not surrender (at least not that I can see). It breaks a Mom’s heart, but remembering God is able is what I hang onto. Please remember us in your prayers. Didn’t submit last name for privacy purposes :)

• marsha says

Hang on to the promise of our God & FAther…. Proverbs 22: 6 TRAIN UP A CHILD IN THE WAY HE SHOULD GO AND WHEN HE IS OLD, HE WILL NOT DEPART FROM IT!!!

and contemplate praying
      1 Corinthians 5:5
      hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.

God bless you as you pray never ceasing for your children!!!! I stand in the gap with you praying!!!!

38. Debbie says

Thank-you for sharing so honestly. I am in a waiting pattern with the Lord and sometimes are so discouraged. I know God works all thing for Good. But some times doubt feels so big. I would like to ask for prayer for my son, who has been wounded and has been through some big time rebellion. We are waiting on the Lord to bring him back fron the land of the enemy. Thank-you again

39. Vicki says

Thanks for being so “real”. I have thought this about you in the past, but today’s devotion just proves it. I pray for you and your entire family, as this has to affect everyone in so many ways. Thank you for reminding me that God is still in the miracle business. I know He answers prayers everyday, but there are some prayers that just seem to need a miracle to take place. There are several areas in my life right now that need “miracles” — one of them being that I don’t have even one “Girlfriend in God” to share with. Please pray for me and my family.

40. Maria says

Thank you! As always, God’s timing is perfect. Just the morning I was praying to the Lord that I was “hanging on by a thread”. Thank you for this encouragement!

41. Jackie says

Thank you for actually being what the Word talks about in II Corinthians 1:3-5. The posts before me prove that out. And knowing the Word never returns to Him void, we are encouraged over and over and over again. Praising the Lord for all the sisters who respond in such love and compassion to the needs of others’ hearts!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! What a powerful word of encouragement shared through your personal wounds and despair. May the blessing of the Most High God continually be multiplied to you and your ministry, as with the “the measure you have meted, so shall it be returned to you and your family. . .abundantly!!! This word of encouragement on both “Encouragement for Today” on God’s suffiency and miracles is so powerful. I will continue to pray with focus on the points you so powerfully addressed. God Bless You!!!

43. Jana says

Thank you so much for your devotional and blog! I know these things, but it is wonderful to be reminded of it. I’m in a heath situation that I alone can’t fix, and if I allow it, God will draw me closer, give me peace and show me the way. Have a blessed day!

44. Jen says

Thank you for sharing from your heart today. It was exactly what I needed to hear to keep going on in the difficult situations happening in my life. I pray God blesses you with a miracle with your daughters.

Sincerely,
    Jen

45. Anonymous says

Thank you so much for shating this Without going into all the details we have been in the biggest trial of our lives. We know we are doing Gid’s will but Satan is fighting so hard. At times I do feel deep despair and don’t know how this can continue on. We have been praying for months for God’s Divine Intervention. We have given it over to Him and we know God is in control. But somedays my faith is weak like today. Reading your devotional really helped. God bless you.

46. deborah fultner says

The message in your devotion and blog is of paramount importance today. I have to remind myself daily that no matter what trials we encounter, God will take us through them and bless us so much more through the trials. He has a plan for each of us and all we have to do is obey Him. Thank you for sharing and thanks to all who shared their story.

47. Robin L says

Thank you so much for your word today. I have been going through non-stop for almost 2 years with my children and rebellion and then some. Thank so much for your prayers. I will keep you lifted up as well. Have a blessed day

48. Shasta says

Just this morning when my alarm went off I lay paralyzed with fear. I had about an hour before I had to leave for the gym and meet with a personal trainer. My eyes have welled up with tears many times over the past 3 years as I workout at my gym. I’m not as strong as I used to be, I’m 40lbs heavier than I used to be, I can’t do it like I used to, then the tears come because I’m so ashamed of what I’ve done to myself. I’m only 32 and was in the best shape of my life when eating for comfort became my daily routine. Back to the bed this morning, I just cried out to God to show me what He has for me, to give me courage and strength to get through the workout. I ask for wisdom to know if I should sign up for a training package. My husband would not approve of spending the money this way but I’m desperate for someone to partner with me on this journey. I cry out to God. I am in need or a miracle. The eating is to medicate the broken places in my heart, much like your little girls. I’m praying for a miracle. I know God heals, I know God restores, I know God turns pain into purpose, I have experienced this in my own life in times past. I go up from that warm place of comfort and faced my fear of the personal trainer and you know what? God met me there, I felt his presence with me as I sweat. I could feel God smiling on me this morning. I still need a miracle and wisdom for the direction of my next step in this journey. I still need healing in those dark places. I still need to turn to God instead of food for comfort and when I face disappointment. Today was one day of many to come and today’s victory is one of many I will have. That miracle is on the way.

• Sarah says

I know what its like to struggle with this and the Holy Spirit has given me much conviction in this area, but be encouraged you are doing a great and mighty thing for the right reasons. God will see you through. I don’t know if you have facebook, but they have a website on there called Weight Loss with New Lifestyle Diet that you can subscribe to and although I don’t follow their particular program they do have postings that are encouraging, knowledgeable, and funny that I get everyday on my postings…Helps me maybe will help you too…God Bless!!!

49. Kathy says

Thank you so much for your devotion today. I love how transparent and honest you are…not about the details of the situation, but about how this ongoing struggle affects you. You were an encouragement to me today as I navigate the unchartered waters of a chronic illness. I am praying for you, and your girls, and your whole family. I am praying that God will heal those girls of all their brokenness, and will give you strength and peace in the meantime.

(I am also praying for your sister. I pray that the surgery was successful and that she, too, will be healed completely.)
    Grace and peace.

50. Rebecca Portteus says

Thank you God for giving Glynnis these words! Thank you Glynnis for sharing something so personal. I, like so many others have already said, needed this boost in a difficult situation.

51. Julie says

Hi! This is SO timely in my life right now. There have been SO many trials in our life, but God has always been SO faithful and true to our family! My Mom died at the young age of 55 in 2005. It seemed SO senseless at the time and there are still times that I ask God why??? But I have been able to talk to others who have lost a close loved one and be there for them. Recently, we miscarried our 4th child when I was 6 1/2 weeks pregnant. Right now, it still seems senseless and am asking God once again WHY?? But we know that God has a plan in all this and will use what we are going through now for someone else who has lost a baby. It is tough, but God is STILL God and STILL on His throne and has an amazing plan for our lives, even though we can’t see it right now. My hope is that I can anticipate what awesome things God is going to do through us because of what we have been through! I have to look back to where we have been through a tough time and ask myself, “Was God faithful through it and did He see us through?” YES! YES! YES!! SO, therefore, I can trust Him NOW in this present situation! That is my only Hope! God is SO good ALL the time. I CHOOSE to rejoice and be thankful no matter my circumstance! Do I do this all the time?? NO! But God helps me to eventually be able to say this. PTL!! Thank you for your ministry and this most timely and awesome devotion! God Bless!

52. Margay says

thank you for this devotion today.

We adopted a baby girl 28 years ago. Her teen age and now adult years have given us many trials and challenges. She has made several poor life choices. We have always been there to give love, grace and mercy. Now she is in a verbally abusive marriage. We had to do tough love and set boundaries. She got angry and told us that she will not see us again. There are more details that I won’t share. God told me in prayer that He did not give me this girl for my pleasure but He gave me this daughter to pray for her.
    Your devotion gives me hope.
    Silence from her is so painful. I have to trust that God is working and a miracle will happen.

53. folasade says

thanks ALWAYS put yourself in someone else’s shoes, you may be angry but it gives opportunity for compassion i am TOO blessed to ever complain thanks

54. Heather says

Oh man, I needed this today.

One particular song that speaks to me is “praise you in this storm” by Casting Crowns. There are days I blast it (and I mean blast it) over and over and over. It calms my heart and mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I was sure by now
    God You would have reached down
    And wiped our tears away
    Stepped in and saved the day
    But once again, I say “Amen”, and it’s still raining

As the thunder rolls
    I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
    “I’m with you”
    And as Your mercy falls
    I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
    And takes away

[Chorus:]
    And I’ll praise You in this storm
    And I will lift my hands
    For You are who You are
    No matter where I am
    And every tear I’ve cried
    You hold in Your hand
    You never left my side
    And though my heart is torn
    I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
    I stumbled in the wind
    You heard my cry to you
    And you raised me up again
    My strength is almost gone
    How can I carry on
    If I can’t find You

But as the thunder rolls
    I barely hear You whisper through the rain
    “I’m with you”
    And as Your mercy falls
    I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
    And takes away

[Chorus]

I lift my eyes unto the hills
    Where does my help come from?
    My help comes from the Lord
    The Maker of Heaven and Earth

55. Rose says

…*sigh*…rough day. Thank you for your encouragement…my conditions are surely ripe for a miracle…

56. Stacey says

Thank you so much for these words. The concept of having God’s power show in our weakness was exemplified this morning as I read your writing. I saw that you are a woman who has been where I have been, and I wanted to hear more. Suffering really does produce character and hope, and the wisdom you have gleaned has fed so many of us! Bless you!

57. B says

I’ve been praying as I read the comments. Thank you, all of you for sharing your pain. I too have have an overload of pain lately. Some situations have been ongoing for some time. I know how hard it is for parents of adopted children and those in the foster care system. Although I am a kinship care provider (a relative caring for a family member’s child) you soon realize the pain they have is so deep. My foster child was kicked out of childcare today. I was divorced almost one year ago so I have only my income. My job is not going well either. I sobbed all the way to daycare-just praying. I was thankful I had counseling this afternoon. Glynnis, thank you for the reminder of all of Jesus’ miracles. There are many of us who need even a small miracle and I pray we receive it. Jesus, I thank you for those who are here, for what you have done and are going to do and for this message.

Thank you! I need a financial miracle today. My business has had a very lean month and we’ve got bills to pay in a few days. Please pray that the Lord will abundantly provide orders for the remainder of the month so we can meet all our financial obligations. He is faithful!

59. Lise says

Thank you for your devotion. My husband and I had three daughters. We adopted our first thru Child Protective Services. She was 5. Then we had our second a year later. Then three years later we adopted a 10 year old thru CPS. Our third daughter ran away when she was 16. We tried to restor the relationship and get her help, but she ran again when she was 17. During that year, she spread horrible rumors about our family, especially me. She told me she was going to destroy me and didn’t care what she had to do in order to do so. The pain caused to our family was and still is so great. My greatest pain tho were not the words or actions directed at me but the way those words and actions hurt our other girls. It has been 8 years since she left our home and our other girls are 19 and almost 25. They both have HUGE emotional scars from the 7 years she was a part of our life. I know God used those hurts to shape and grow our girls, but there is still so much hurt. March 22, our “runaway” was found dead of alcohol poison. We never were able to restore the relationship. I know we did the best we could and I know God put her in our lives for a reason. But is hard to see why. Please pray for our family. Our other adopted daughter, the 25 yr. old really struggles with abandonment issues.

60. Kristi says

Thank you so much for your blog today. It is people like you who truly know what it means to minister for the Lord and give others hope when they feel they have none. I’m struggling with the fear that my beautiful 5 month old baby boy could possibly have something wrong with him. I don’t know if it’s an overwhelming amount of first time mom worry or that doctors have put so much fear in me. No matter what, nothing will change the way I feel about my precious son. I just want everything in the world to be perfect for my little boy, much like God wants things to be perfect for all of us (his children in this world). My family has also been very surrounded with a lot of pain. My dad was diagnosed with a brain tumor 22 years ago and has had the mental capability of a 5 year old. My mother being the beautiful servant she is took her vows and cherished them completely and took care oft father up until he passed away in December. We had lost his dad (my grandfather) 40 days before he passed. I then had my son in January. We were blessed with our sweet Greyson in a terrible time of pain of losing 2 people we loved so much. We need the pain and struggling to be over and blessed with nothing but positivity. Please pray mor me, my sweet boy, and my family. I need peace of mind as well as hope that my sons life is not going to be filled with struggle as my dad’s was. Thank you all for listening. God bless you all!

I am never surprised by our Loving Lord, amazed, yes, but I have been allowed to witness far too many miracles in my relatively long life (that in itself is a miracle!), to ever be surprised at what He does for us. I good friend once said to me,v “He may not be early, but He is never late.”

My life has been crashing around me for going on three weeks, much longer, but now intensified. I was overwhelmed by an extreme feeling of being lost today after a terrible attacking phone call from my former spouse. When I arrived back at my apartment, I simply stood and stared at a pile of broken glass shards from a piece of artwork that I had recently finished whose frame had gotten broken. as if looked at them mesmerized by what I could easily do with them, I forced myself to walk over to my computer to divert my attention. First of all after sitting down, I prayed to our Lord to protect me from hurting myself tonight. Then…………….

Upon opening it, I found an email from my minister about a funny story that happened to him over the weekend, and it caused me to laugh out loud. I think that it was the first time I laughed like that in ages. That coupled with the fact that I was going to try to find his email address tonight anyway, and, of course there it was, was perfect.

Then, of course, there was this amazing message from Glynnis. Amazing………and a big AMEN. Never stop be amazed by His Wonders!

62. Jeri says

Thank you so much for hearing God and writing just what I needed to hear at just the time I needed to hear it. Going thru only thing I can call it is a mess between my son and my husband. Had to make a choice and as a mother that is a terrible place to be – between your husband and your child – tring to live for God and follow His word and His commands – but really needed to hear that God is not done with us yet!!!

63. Deborah says

Hi my name is Deborah. I need a lot of prayer to cope with a crime my husband committed why he did it and how to get our marriage back to get her and our family and live with the reprocusions of what he has done. For my husband to know Christ as his Lord and savior. I know this will be one big Mirical but I know tha God is faithful and loving and everything is in accordance with his will

64. Sarah says

Thank You for sharing a piece of your life to encourage us and thank you for keeping us all in prayer…God Bless!!!

Glynnis, thank you for sharing this message. I totally needed it, and God provided it through you. Blessings on you and your family!

66. Molly says

This post really resonated with me in my current life circumstance. I actually used it in our monthly women’s brown bag lunch and found it to be what others needed to hear also. At one time or another in life we will all face a painful time that we would prefer to have go away. While I know it is walking through them that helps my faith to grow, my human side just wants things to get better. Thank you for sharing your heart and your life in such a transparent way. It gives us hope and encouragement!

67. Heather says

Thank you for being so transparent. We adopted two young boys seven years ago and I stuggled for so long feeling like a failure because I didn’t feel I loved them like I should; like I had expected I would. Talk about leaning on your own understanding. But I felt deeply when we started the adoption journey (after having two biological children) that that was God’s plan for us and for the boys we were to adopt. When the struggles started right away, I turned to a pastor at a different church than where we were members because I was embarrassed to go to our own pastor. That other pastor said something to me that day that I have clung to ever since. He said, never doubt in the dark decisions you made in the light.
    We have had some dark days in the last seven years with these boys and, even though I have allowed myself at times to doubt our decision to adopt, God has always been faithful to pick me back up when I’ve not had the strength to do so on my own. I am able to see, all these years later, that God is turning our pain into something beautiful.
    Having been in that place where I felt I was THE ONLY ONE on the face of the planet who felt I was failing my kids because I wasn’t strong enough or loving enough or patient enough, it is encouraging to know that isn’t true.

68. Jo says

Good morning Glynis ! yes on this side of the world it is morning….
    Thank you for sharing your journey with us… It happens so often that the world romanticises adoption and tries to minimise the damage that our children have experienced through loss and trauma. Recently I was lamenting to God about a particular set of choices that our adopted children were making.. God made me aware that it was my job to love them despite their behaviour and that He had a bigger picture and that He would use this painful time for their greater good… Even if that meant letting go of my preconcieved ideas of how it should all work out. I found your words this morning confirming of that message. My blended family is hard work but such a blessing. It continues to wear me out, frustrate me and yet grow in my faith and reliance on God.
    May you find peace and strength today!

69. Rita says

Thank you. I needed this reminder and encouragement. I have been feeling discourage the last few days and reprimanding myself because my worries are minor compared to so many others. I will call on him for help and believe that he will do what’s best for me and my family. Again, thank you.

70. Martha says

Thank you for your devotional. It is difficult at times to be open about the pain that we go through yet so very needed to open up to someone. Your devotional was an encouragement to me. Again, thank you.

71. Teresa says

I want to thank Glynnis and everyone that responded to her post! Each of you gave me encouragement. I, too, am the adoptive parent of two boys. We had four almost adult children when we adopted the boys at ages 6 & 7, they are now 12 and 13. The past 6 years have been so difficult. My boys were very traumatized when they were young and even with all of the therapy and prayers, we have not been able to help them overcome. They are both currently in residential care and we hope to have them be able to return home. We have to consider safety issues. The oldest tells me he will kill me whenever his PTSD is triggered. So sad.
    During the past years, my family has been traumatized themselves and I have found myself in such despair. I felt led by God to adopt and end the vicious circle of neglect and violence for a child ( just ended up with 2 brothers). I have experienced such guilt for my perceived destruction of our family, my questioning of whether this was really God’s plan or my own selfishness, and the fear that it may not be God’s will to help them.
    Glynnis, your blog spoke of helplessness and that is a feeling I am very familiar with. I am actually going to be the lay speaker at our church soon and have been struggling with narrowing my topic- I knew it had to be something about the hardship of the last 6 years. I hope you don’t mind if I use this as my topic. I know that without Christ in my life I could not have survived. He has been with me even when the darkness shrouded Him. He is the only one that can help my boys and the only one that can give me peace and comfort.

You are welcome to use anything I’ve written on my blog. The Lord has given freely to me, and I want to share that freely with others. May the Lord use you in a mighty way as you speak at your church.

By the way, I too have struggled with guilt over what our adoption did to our other children – especially the youngest. I underestimated Satan’s power of deception. We had no idea of the depth of one of our daughter’s issues until much damage had been done. But God’s healing power is prevailing! And what Satan meant for harm, God is using for His glory!!!! And we are just seeing the beginning of God’s victory. Praise God.

I’m confident God will restore what Satan has tried to take from you and your family. We are in a battle, and Satan’s key weapon is the deception I mentioned. I’m praying God opens your eyes to what is happening in the supernatural realm so that you can be prepared.

72. Amanda Huffer says

I needed to hear this so badly today! So thankful that a friend on facebook shared your post today! God works in wonderful ways through some pretty amazing people.

73. Nancy says

God is faithful and good, and He answers prayers. My sweet cousin just received a “clear of cancer” report after a year of struggles following surgery. Praise Him!

74. Christina says

There is a series going on Tv of “I shouldn’t be alive” documentaries, I don’t know if you have seen it, real-life tales of individuals and groups caught in dangerous situations. It’s really about the survivors who survived and the decisions they made that kept them alive and while some( sadly most of them) decide to face the challenges on their own, others prayed to God to save them in a desperate call for help. To their amazement He answered immediately. Remember, they were kind of like non-believers…till that moment. So, I believe, just like you, that God is waiting for us to call on Him for help. If He had made miracles before, He’ll continue doing so..

75. Pam says

Glynnis: Thank you so much for “Hard Times + Prayers = Miracles!” I found you under a general Google search on “Prayers for children going through difficult times,” and the link for this devotional came up! I KNOW it was Jesus speaking through YOU to my heart this morning! I have bookmarked your page, and “Liked” your Facebook page, for you spoke to my concern this morning DIRECTLY, and I know God continuig to speak through you to me will be a on-going blessing! Both are my twins are in college, and one in particular, is having a rough semester academically…please pray for my kids, and thank you again for allowing my Jesus to speak through you this morning to my heart. God bless you!

76. MARTHA says

GOOD MORNING GLYNNIS! YOU ARE AN ANGEL SEND FROM HAVEN AT THE RIGHT TIME.I WAS COMPLETELY LOST NOT KNOWING WHAT TO DO.I WAS SEARCHING FOR PRAYER OF GOD MIRACLES UNDER A GENERAL GOOGLE.SUDDENLY MY EYES FELT ON ”’HARD TIMES +PRAYERS =MIRACLES” I FOUND YOU MY GOD ANGEL GLYNNIS, THE ANGEL OF HOPE.AS I WAS GOING THROUGH THE SCRIPTURE, SUDDENLY MY EYES FELT ON THE MESSAGE WHICH SAYS,HELP IS ON THE WAY AND I BELIEVE THAT SOME OF YOU WILL SEE MIRACLES TODAY AMEN AMEN AMEN.I TAKE THIS MESSAGE AS MY OWN N BELIEVE THAT TODAY I WILL SEE MIRACLES.THANK YOU POPPA GOD, JESUS N HOLY SPIRIT.LOVE U