Everyone needs to be refreshed

If you feel like running away from home (and it isn’t because you are practicing for the track team) it’s probably time for some refreshing!   We’ve all been there, and there’s no shame in saying “I need time to recharge.”  If that’s you, then you are among friends.

Before I continue, I’d like to welcome everyone who is joining me today after reading my devotion on Proverbs 31 Ministries or Crosswalk.  At the end of the devotion, I promised to include some of my favorite ways to care for myself and experience refreshment.  So if you need some ideas, keep reading.

If you’re like me, it’s hard to find (make) time for yourself.  And yet from the beginning of time, God has said it is good, important and a requirement to make time to be refreshed.  Read His own words in Exodus 23:12:

“Six days do your work, but on the seventh day do not work, so that your ox and your donkey may rest, and so that the slave born in your household and the foreigner living among you may be refreshed.”

Whether we like to admit it or not, we need to set aside time in the week for refreshment.  Two weeks of vacation a year isn’t going to cut it.  We need regular and frequent times where we shut off distractions and reconnect with our Creator and ourselves. This isn’t frivolous, it’s a necessity.

So today I’d like to start the discussion.  And admit that I’m not the expert when it comes to investing in myself.  I’m a work in progress.  For it the truth were told, I would just keep working.   That’s not a humble brag, it’s a weakness.  Way too often I’m trying to pour water out of an empty reservoir, and that helps no one.

But I am learning.  I am figuring out how to honor God’s Fourth Commandment to rest.  I am learning when I need to stop though out my day.  And here are some of the ways I’m finding to refresh what God has given me:  my physical strength and my mental abilities.

1)  God’s Word.  There is power in God’s Word.   This book isn’t just a bunch of consonants and vowels randomly assembled.  The Bible is the very breath of God which has power to create, heal and instruct.  Even five minutes in the Word changes me.  It’s not just  good teaching.  It’s life-transforming truth.  Don’t think it takes hours of time reading the Bible to make a difference.  Reading one verse with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit can infuse me with refreshment and perspective.

2)  Love on my family.  As today’s devotion said, I still have five “children” living at home.  Actually, two of them are officially adults and college students.   In the summer, all seven of us are home. And I LOVE it.  But if I’m not intentional, the days can be filled with must-dos.  However, something amazing happens when I have some one-on-one time with each of them.  We usually end up laughing, or I learn something new about their lives.  When my most important relationships are healthy, that brings me much joy.

3) Incorporate daily treats.  Every day I have a few things I look forward to.  First is my cup of French Vanilla General Foods Coffee.  I’m such a creature of habit; I’ve been drinking this almost every day for over 20 years.  The first thing I do every morning is put a cup of water to heat in the microwave and get one of my favorite mugs.  It might be my pink one that says “Sweet” on the side.  Or the one that Harvest House gave me a few years ago that has the Bible verse Philippians 4:8 printed on the side.  In the winter I put on a pot of tea in the afternoon and take a few minutes to recharge with a steaming cup of English Breakfast or raspberry tea.

4)  Reconnect with nature.  I don’t have the benefit of a lovely stream, mountainside or ocean to look at outside my window.  If I did, I might never get anything done. But I do have three dogs and a cat.  So every day I intentionally take time to sit down and love on the furry creatures in our home.  Receiving their thanks makes me very happy.

5)  Finally, I know this might seem silly, but I like to watch House Hunters International.  But I don’t watch much TV at night.  So I record episodes and watch one when I need a mental break.  I have no explanation about why this refreshes me.  Maybe it’s the dream of travel or seeing how others decorate their homes. But it works.

That’s not all I do to care for myself, but I wanted to get this conversation started.  I’d love to hear how you find refreshment throughout the day.  What keeps you going?  What refreshes your spirit?  What fills your love tank so that you can give out?

If you are reading this in an email, please click here to be taken to my blog to leave a message.  I love reading your comments, and they also help others.  So please take a moment and share what refreshes you.

Thanks so much for taking the time to join me today.  I pray the Lord blesses you big!

In His love,

Comments

Taking the extra 15 minutes or more in the morning to be alone. Starting with The Word and reading the Daily Readings. Praying for my family and friends. Catching up on news, email. Just being quiet. This habit I acquired one Lent many years ago has proved crucial in my sanity and my faithwalk. I have far, far to go in being more gracious toward my family and children but I know that this precious “alone time” in the morning brings abundant blessings in my day and in my family’s day.

Anytime I can get out and walk for 30 minutes or hit the beach to walk or bike ride my spirit is automatically refreshed with gratitude for the ability to walk or bike ride, the amazing world God has made for us and time to focus on the many blessings He pours down on me that I might otherwise be too busy to notice during the day.

God bless!

• Blanche Weinert says

Thank’s so much for your words of wisdom. I’m so thankful I know the Lord and know I can come to him anytime. My hard thing is to leave it in his hands and not take it back again. May the Lord Bless you.

• Janette Shevchenko says

Thanks Glennis, I needed this. Whenever I do take time for myself I feel guilty and in those times I don’t think I really shut off as I am always tinking of the next thing to do. (even in my prayer times) So possibly don”t hear God clearly Until I am faced with drastic times of rest. 8 years ago it was Pnemonia and at that time all I could do was ”Be still and know that He is God” now I have torn a ligament in my knee and am immobile which is nearly killing me as I keep trying to plan all the things I can do without actually going out to do them. I know God is telling me to slow down but have not been stopping spiritually or mentally to really listen to what He want’s to tell me. Thanks for the wake up call.
      Janette

• Rebecca says

I no longer have any children at home, but I raised three who are now respectively, a preacher, marine, and dietician. Most importantly, they know whose they are, children of God and friends of Jesus. I have always been at fault when it came to trying to do so much all by myself. God always reminded me though. Now, instead of children being my excuse for taking on too much, I have projects I get myself involved in. The latest “project” are my two twin grandgirls! My last year of teaching school next year at year 30 gives me project after project inherently by vocation. I am though trying to simplify my life as my husband and I prepare for full time mission work after my retirement. Cleaning out, selling out, and moving out and onward — but in all of that— I must learn to incorporate “refreshment” to energize my steps.

• Kathy McAdams says

I love to put on Christian music to refresh my mind and spirit. As I listen or sing along, I feel refreshed and uplifted!!!!

2. Kiley Middleton says

Every day my son, who is 9 months old, takes a nap around 4:00. My daughters are usually outside playing, so I take a few minutes before my husband comes home from work to sit on my front porch with my Bible and a cup of coffee. This gives me the extra “boost” I need before the 2nd half (and most busy) of my day begins. I all too often start to loose stamina around 3:00 or 4:00, so this helps me mentally and physically prepare for cooking dinner, bathing children and caring for my husband.

I have 5 children all adopted ages 4-9 which I homeschool. I can relate to your devotion & post. Recently started a few small pamperings too such as a purse, etc. and my daily ‘regreshments’ are exactly the same as yours (dogs included). Until recently, I tried to make Thursday nights for me. Coffee shop, etc. when I was too tired, I’d lock my bedroom & bathroom door & take a few magazines or books & take an hour long bubble bath. Now my husband arranged to work at home on Wednesdays so that I can leave after lunch to have the afternoon to myself. I arrived back home at 5 to get the crew for 5:15 dinner at church.

4. sheree wilson says

I have three children, 20, 19, and 13. They are very busy with their athletic activities and I attend every activity if possible. For a little me time I sit on the swing on my front porch in the summer to have my morning coffee and listen to the animals wake up the woods surrounding my home. If it’s not summer I enjoy a cup of morning coffee with my husband a few minutes before the rest of the house wakes up.

• Amy says

Oh, I do the very same thing….I love sitting on my front porch swing during the warm months sipping my morning coffee…listening to the birds & reading my devotions!

• Anonymous says

Me too…my absolute favorite place to escape and refresh is my screened porch over looking a small pond. I will Sit with coffee, birds chirping, two kitties, devotions and the occasional duck.
        Pulling weeds lets me get my hands busy and mind off of stress and I gain a quick sense of accomplishment.
        When an afternoon allows it, a 15min nap is awesome before the busy “second” shift starts!! :)

Oh, to feel organized and “myself” again! But there are definitely seasons in life, and this is one of them. Thanks for the encouragement and the “go ahead” to take a few minutes to myself. Sometimes it leaves me feeling selfish, so it’s nice to hear that a little refreshment is needed by everyone, and it is a perfectly “Godly” thing to do!

6. Elaine Harrah says

I have three children, four and under, my husband has been in Afghanistan for almost eight months and i have no family living anywhere near me. It’s just been me and my three musketeers 24/7 for the last eight months. At first I wasn’t taking time for myself because trying to live our lives without my husband seemed impossible. But I can honestly say that this deployment has been the best thing that happened to us, because God has shown His faithfulness in so many ways and carried me through so much. I started trying to draw closer to God out of sheer lonliness and He has given me strength and grace beyond my wildest dreams! Every morning i get up very early and have my “coffee time” with God, where I sit and drink my first cup of coffee while reading the daily Mass readings and praying the rosary. That always starts my day off on the right foot and even on days when the kids wake up super early or I haven’t actually been to sleep, I try to make time to talk to God. Making spending time with Him a priority has truly changed my life. I also exercise 4 – 6 days a week. It strengthens my body and it’s something that I do just to feel good about myself. I still have very difficult days, but day by day, God is seeing me through the rest of this deployment until I can wrap my arms around my husband and tell him “Welcome home!” May the Peace of Christ be with you all.

• Nancy says

Hang in there Elaine. Although I don’t have a spouse in the military I do have a few friends who do. I know from speaking to them how hard it can be. Please do reach out to friends and your church. They may be able to provide you with a little time off. We all appreciate what your husband does for us.

• Eva says

Bless you my dear. You have the world’s most difficult job. Congratulations on finding a way to survive and glow/grow – reaching to the Lord. I echo what Nancy said -ask others for help too. When my children were little, we had no family nearby but asked members of our church family for help.
      God bless you, Eva

• Kiley Middleton says

Hey Elaine. I went through the exact same thing about 3 years ago. My husband served in Afghanistan for almost a year and a half while I was at home with my 4 and 6 years olds. And I have got to tell you, I felt the EXACT same way as you do! I feel that the deployment was the best thing to happen to us! It actually brought my husband and I closer together and it drew my daughters and I closer because we depended on one another for support and encouragement. It was very hard at times but I really did enjoy the time I had with my daughters, just us, doing our “girlie” things. Then, God blessed us and brought my husband home safely on Christmas day! What a blessing. I will send up a prayer for you and your family and your husband’s safe return. Keep your head up and stay strong :-) God bless!

7. Christina says

Howdy! When I’m tired I like to read these verses so I would feel my strenght grow up (and my faith)

Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
    31 but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
    They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.

God definitely knew what He was doing for His people when He set the seventh day for rest. (It’s interesting that from all commandments He chose to remind the israelites about this one when they had gotten away from Him)

Blessings!

8. teena says

Thank you so much for your blog!!I felt guilty about feeling like i should do something for me,but now i know for certain I NEED TO UNWIND to be a good mom and wife!

9. Amy says

Thank you for this post. I have two little boys right now and relate to the feelings of wanting to run away but also feel guilty for it.
    My morning coffee, bible reading, prayer, and often working through several other books are refreshers for me. I like to read blogs for a mental break when the children are not needing me for a few minutes. I have also learned that girly things in the midst of so much masculinity really helps me.
    I meet with my friends once a week as well to work through a bible study/book together. It is good to be among other women and laugh about woman stuff.

10. Elisabeth says

I really like the book “The Rest of God” by Mark Buchanan. I always viewed Sabbath as part of the “law” and figured we didn’t need to live that way anymore. No! Sabbath is for US. We do ourselves a favor when we take one day a week to enjoy and break from labor. One thing I learned is that we must prepare to rest. So if I want Sunday to be a day of rest, I should take the time Saturday to think up Sunday dinner, maybe putting it in the crockpot. I try to get laundry done Saturday, so I don’t have to think about that. Then Sunday after church, I choose to do things I enjoy: hanging out with each if my kids, sitting outside reading a book, watch a couple of shows I’ve recorded, etc.
    Another way I try to carve out me-time, is I look forward to meeting with my Bible study girls each week, and sometimes we meet at Panera. My older kids are old enough now to watch their younger siblings for a couple hours, so I leave them home. I used to feel guilty about it, but now I know it refreshes me and makes me a better mom!
    @ Elaine- I wish I lived close to you so I could take your kids for a couple of hours and give you a well-deserved break! Way to hold onto Jesus- He truly is the source of your strength! May your husband come home safely, and soon! Love and peace to you :)

11. IB says

Thanks for today’s blog on refreshment. This is not my strength; however, you have challenged me to make the time everyday so that I am not empty by the end of the week. I have never been a morning person, but God keeps proding me to become one as that is the only quiet time in my household. If that is it, i will trust that this same God that has the ability to change my heart has the ability to change my lack of being morning person!
    I know there are practical changes I can make to help achieve that goal. God is good and so is refreshment . I am feeling refreshed already. Thanks Glyniss!

12. Nicci Crisp says

Hi Glyniss

I am a single mom of 2 boys 4 and 1 and your blog today on Proverbs 31 Ministry’s was so for me!!! i feel like this often and am so glad to hear i am not a monster for feeling this way!
    thank you for the inspiration and advise

Nicci Crisp

13. Camille says

I could completely identify with both your devotional and blog today! I have 3 boys and I’m home with them ALL of the time… Even the part about the shoes being to girly, I was like “I have said that so many times!” thank you for reminding me of the importance of not losing myself in my mommy role an learning to recharge!

14. twyla, www.wearethetparty.blogspot.com says

my favorite “recharges” are being outside in nature listening to the twittery symphony of birds while I putter in my garden. often my children (8, 7, 5, 2) are with me but having my hands in the dirt refreshes me. most often it is in the garden where I hear my Father’s voice. the other is watching my Morgan gelding move across the pasture with his friends. that beautiful arched neck and graceful stride take me to far-off places even when I’m not on his back!

15. Vanessa says

Hello Glyniss,

I signed up to receive the daily devotions 2 days ago and I must say I did this right on time because your devotion this morning is what I truly needed. I am a stay at home mom. Something totally new to me because I worked as an office manager at a busy doctors office for numerous years. Now, I have a 2 year old and a 4 month old and I am exhausted. Thank you so much for letting me know that I can find peace within myself again by becoming best friends with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

• heather says

Vanessa I too am now home with an almost 3 year old and a 2 month old until late January when my maternity leave from teaching ends. It is tiring and so different! Hang in there!

16. Rochelle says

Taking time out is something I have had to learn to incorporate into motherhood. I am thankful for a mum or looks after my kids from time to time and tells me to go up to the other end of the house for a break… On a day to day basis these are some practical things I do:
    * have some online devotionals that I read on my iphone while I am taking a few minutes after breaky to drink a hot drink
    * using an online audio bible to read a section of the bible out while I am doing a house hold just like the dishes (I also use my iphone for this)
    * once a week I meet with other women of varied ages, one week we pray and study God’ word and the other we party (do something social). I still have to work around my kids and their nap times but my hubby usually takes at least one of them…
    * making contact with friends is a good way to recharge for me- phone, playgroups, emails.
    * occasionally I indulge in reading a short novel (often I have read it before back in my BC- before children phase), I am constantly interrupted by the kids but every so often its worth it even with the interruptions!
    * getting out in nature is always a winner and refreshes my kids too!

17. Rochelle says

woops didn’t check my post for typos- meant to say house hold “JOBS” not just… and God’s not God’
    :-)

18. Cathy says

Thnak you for affirming me in the time I make for me. I get up very early so I can have quiet time with the Lord and coffee. I follow that with a run outside with my dog. These activities charge me and wake me up for daily life. I am thrilled if I get to eat breakfast in a non hurried way!

19. Shan says

I’m a single mom with twin boys age 12. I’ve been single since they were age 2 and I’m beginning to feel weary. I’m always exhausted, mostly overwhelmed and most recently, I can’t “see” any reprieve. I LOVE my boys. I always have and always will and there’s nothing I wouldn’t do for them or to keep us together as a family, but… I just feel empty. I think I have been living in “survival mode” for so long that I forgot what real living is suppose to be like. I apologize for the nativity- I just need to vent.

• Beth says

God bless you, Shan, and may He fill you UP with His Spirit to enable you to not only do all of the stuff that you have to do, but to also help you to relax when you need to. God’s got your back!

• Shelia says

Shan –
      i completely understand what you are saying. I am a single mom to 3 (boy/girl twins age 12, and an 8 yr old boy). I too feel like i am in ‘survival mode’ most days. I just feel like i’m going through the motions at times and have recently begun to see the awful effects this is having on my kids and my attitude. I’ve found myself being very short and impatient with my kids. I’m slowly working on this by doing as Glynnis has suggested by making ‘me’ time even if it is to steal away at night to a hot bubble bath. Unfortunately I don’t have many single friends who can understand what i’m going through so I truly lean on God to help me through. Hang in there and know I’ll be praying for you.

20. Ani says

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I’m a mom of three little ones and we are planning to homeschool this fall for the first time (my oldest is 8). I need to be reminded to take some time out for me so I can be a better mother. Thank you for the ideas!!

21. Perri says

Thank u! This is EXAcTly what I needed right now… Gods perfect timing! I always feel guilty for taking ( timeouts). I’m printing ur list of refreshing ideas. I love the same things…. Gardening is another… Walking… Yoga… Working out,,, photography… Scrapping… I love alot… My favorite is getting up at 530 and sitting with my favorite coffee cup and bible and godly reading and journal! Writing is also another refresher . Thanks agin. God bless

22. Beth says

Man, I needed this today! I thought that I was the only one with a glazed look in my eyes and zipping around like a chainsaw with legs (which is also my nickname for my 7 year old son). I don’t really share any of this with anyone- everybody’s got stuff going on. This will sound nutty, but I used to LOVE just relaxing and doing my nails. I think that I will pull out the paraphernalia and do my nails tonight. This post has encouraged me to do something for myself today, and I thank you, Glynnis. I teach during the school year and am out for a couple of months, which I use for production time (I’m also an artist). It’s so funny how summers are never a time of relaxation- just catching up LOL! God is good, SO GOOD, despite all that I’ve got going on. Be blessed, ladies. Everybody, do something kind for yourself today! Much luv.

23. Carrie says

Sometimes when I sit at my computer and log on to Proverbs 31, it’s like I’m sitting and talking with a good friend. As a young mother of two energetic boys, with a third child on the way, I often find myself long overdue for a break. It’s tough on me, but it’s even tougher on my husband and boys because that’s when I’m at my worst. Thank you for sharing this Biblical truth that everyone, even mothers, should take time to rest and recharge. In fact, I had to share this on my Facebook page this morning for all of my friends who struggle with making time for themselves as well. I’m blessed to live in a beautiful, rural area of South Carolina where things are peaceful and we move at a slower pace. That’s a blessing because I don’t have any excuses for not being able to unwind; I only have to step out my door! I enjoy taking long walks as a way to unwind, enjoy God’s creation, and spend time with Him. It’s usually a sure-fire way to get me recharged!

24. Sarah says

Glynnis, thank you. I have a 14-month old boy. I thought being a first-time mom would be all roses and sunshine. Most days it is, but I have been feeling randomly depressed and exhausted lately. Thank you for your devotion and blog today. I won’t feel guilty about taking time for myself. I am going to have coffee time every morning and dig into the Lord’s promises. God bless you and your family!

25. Billie says

My idea is kind of strange, but here goes. Sometimes when I am feeling worn out and under apprieciated, I have 4 kids ages 9 to 15, I think of something I can do for someone else. It sounds a bit crazy, but it actually helps to just do something like take flowers to whoever God brings to my mind…the person usually feels so happy that I thought of them. This brightens both of our day because I get to feel apprieciated for something so small…it is nice to have that when you are dealing with kids all day who rarely notice the big things you do for them, let alone the little stuff. I always feel so much better when someone is glad for the effort I gave in thinking of them, it almost makes me feel selfish…lol.

• Eva says

Dear Billie
      Yes, your idea does sound counter -intuitive but I can see it working. I think it is really depressing to have family members take for granted what we do for them. I love your idea. Bless you,
      Eva

26. Angel PArnell says

Amazing, I am blessed to know I am not alone in feeling guilty for taking me time. Now that I can admit that I want to start using some of your ideas to start taking me time. Thanks for this blog. God has opened my eyes once again.

27. Roseanne says

Great message, if we don’t take care of ourselves we will be on “empty”. My favorite recharge is enjoying God’s world from the back of a horse.

Thankyou for this post; I needed to hear this today. I have two young children and a million things that need doing. On days like this the idea of time for me to sit on my own with a cup of coffee seems like a dream! But today is a bad day….
    Thankyou again.

29. Chris says

I love to sing! One of the most refreshing things I do is sing worship songs in my car…. really, really loud. I also recharge by singing on the worship team at my church. Even rehearsal is uplifting. I am surrounded by affirming friends who lift me up. We pray together, laugh together and study a little before we sing. It’s a little slice of heaven!

One of my favorite things that gives me great joy is watching small children play. My own children are all in college or out of college. This time has always been such a gift from God for me. I will often walk by playgrounds just for this purpose.

Blessings on your day!

31. Mellissa says

Wow. This was so timely for me to read. I have two children, a 3 year old and a 1 year old and another one on the way! I work from home 20 hours a week…so usually during naps and when the kids go to bed. I have NO me time and could not tell you the last time I did something for myself. I”ve been recently thinking that I have to take time to refuel. It’s simply unhealthy not to! I think this devotion was God confirming this for me. My husband also works really hard and doesn’t get any down time….I am going to start giving him some get away time. I believe it will make us better for our children and each other. Thanks!!!

32. Christelle says

I know the Lord is speaking to me through your message today, as it came at a very overwhelmed time and cut straight to the heart. I too am a mom of boys and haven’t had a day off in years. What is painfully challenging for me is that my husband does not support me taking time for myself. He’ll say it with words but when push comes to shove, he responds very negatively. He hasn’t gotten up with the kids on a weekend day ever, not once in 4.5 years. This Saturday I’m supposed to be at a conference at 8am, one he has known about for over a month. When I reminded him of this coming up, he was not pleased, and made it sound like the whole week is going to be one big exhausting sacrifice on his part. A “sacrifice” I have made every day of my kids’ life.
    Your point about trying to pour out of an empty resevoir resonates with me…I just feel like mine has a gigantic leak because as much as I fill up by spending time in the Word, there is a big gaping hole on the “time-for-me” part.
    But thank you for reminding me that so many of us moms experience this over-do under-rest problem. I know it’s not how the Lord wants us to live. Trying daily to cast my burdens on Him.

• Eva says

Christelle,
      that sounds REALLY tough, the non-sharing. I hope you have a wonderful conference and that your husband is not too ungraciuos about it. God bless you,
      Eva

• Kathryn says

You are not alone. My husband can make me feel guilty for wanting to do something for me also. I, too, don’t know what it is like to get 7 hours of sleep. Just this week I was in the hospital for food poisoning. I was released at 3:30am and had to wake up and feed the baby in the morning and take care of him all day while trying to recover. I know that place of trying to give when your cup is empty.

He is not like that all the time, but needless to say, I haven’t had sleep or help with “me-time” either. I didn’t even get anything except for yelled at on my first mother’s day because I didn’t know where to plant some flowers that were given to us by mail over the phone.

I am learning to take charge to give myself rest by making him take the baby on occassion so I can take a nap and to roll off the “burden card” he plays, because I (and YOU) are worth it!

I try to give him grace, as I know my hubby just doesn’t get it, but I want you to know you are not the only one that struggles through this. I am trying to remember that this is just a season in life, my hubby doesn’t understand, and that God values my efforts. I know that God loves me and wants to/will take care of me in this life and/or the next.

• Christelle says

Kathryn,
        Thank you for sharing your mutual struggle. Sounds like we could write idential autobiographies; the sick-and-caring-for-kids, AND the gardening dispute…both have occurred in my house in the past month too.
        I will be praying for you every time I feel tapped out, knowing it’s not just me. I’m so sorry you are struggling too; it is a very lonely place. May the Lord strengthen and encourage your heart today. Look into the eyes of your precious little one and draw on the joy that He has for you there.

33. VICKIE LAVIGNA says

This is something I need to be reminded of time and time again. I was brought up believing that to take time for me was disresptful and selfish although that is not what I saw,just the opposite.As I have grown older I find you are to refresh yourself so you can be a blessing to others and GOD wants us to do that. I find to refresh myself I like to sit quietly on the back porch( in Spring and summer) and knit,hook rugs or read. It is a great place to reflect on GOD’s word and see HIS creation. I,too,tape shows to view when I am at home alone in the evenings. Girlie things,which I know my hubbie would “put-up”with, but he doesn’t have to cause I view them when he is at meetings. When I am empty I can not help encourage others. I must no longer feel guilty about taking some time for me. Thanks Glyniss for encouraging me with your thoughts and words. May GOD continue to bless and use you for HIS glory! Many prayers!

34. Shannon says

I have 3 kids and my husband works out of state so the week is just me and the kids. I have to say I have felt/said “I want to just run away” many times. During the school year I teach school so I really feel I never have me time. I worked in the nursery at our church from the time I was 18 to 40, and needless to say I was completely “empty”. I knew God had been telling me to get into a Sunday school class to be refilled and it was exactly what I needed. At home though, I never take time for me. I love the Proverbs 31 message for the day. I really need to STOP and be still with God, I know this I just need to practice it! Thanks for the encouragement.

35. Bebe Troppoli says

As I reflect back I have used different techniques to refresh myself and give me energy. No matter what age my children were prayer was always a first choice. While prayer is still my first choice, having children that are 17 and 22 requires more mental energy than physical energy like when they were younger. I am 55 years old and have been a single parent for 14 years and I need mental and physical energy. I have become quite dependent on exercise, running, bootcamp, boxing etc to give me energy. I usually exercise with a trainer in small groups with mature adults. I enjoy the break from work and parenting. I find that we laugh a lot which always lightens the load. I am on a strict budget and have found a lot of reasonably priced choices. Another plus is my kids are proud of me for exercising and finishing shorter races. My last technique is volunteering outside of my comfort zone. I usually walk away with the feeling that I am the one that has been blessed. This is what works for me.

36. Cathy says

I, too, like to start my morning with the daily mass readings, a short devotional journal, and prayer. That’s my daily refreshment – kick start! The other thing that I do – once a week my best girl friend and I meet for lunch – we call it our “therapy sessions”! It’s a time when we can both be totally honest about what’s going on in our lives and refreshed.
    (PS – I can relate to the “running away” – but my thoughts more often were of “just keep driving” instead of taking the exit for home after a long day at work, knowing there was another full “day” waiting at home.)

37. Colleen Loerzel says

When the stress of the day comes among me, I love to block out the world and get the tub nice and full with possibly a candle or two and some nice worship songs going. No need to read a book while in the tub but just sit in there and worship God and ask for His guidance and assistance to make it through our difficult times. Usually, I am refreshed and ready to face the world after some time of worship while in the tub.

Oh Glynnis those are such wise, wise words!!! It is so important for moms to take care of themselves–in fact that’s the first section of my book.

My kids are now 20 and 18 years old. I did pretty good taking time for myself when they were younger, but for the last few years–and the last few months especially–I have not been doing that. I publish a newspaper and do other writing along with running our household and since the kids are fairly independent I guess I’ve felt “too busy” and like I don’t “need” that time.

I’m facing the “empty nest” in just a few short months (Morgan has a countdown on her phone and can tell me the exact number of weeks, days, hours and seconds before parents need to leave orientation at the college she’s chosen–which is 8 hrs. from here) and have realized that while I treasure every moment with my kids, I also need to have quiet “me time” to process the changes in my life. I’m planning some things to do this fall, to keep me busy when the house is too quiet…and also making that effort to have time with the Lord every day.

Moms with small kids–treasure every moment–as one wise older mom told me many years ago, “The days may seem long but the years will go very quickly.” And she was right.

For the last few years I’ve been working full-time in a very stressful job. It has been challenging to maintain my wife/mom status as a happy camper.
    I come home wiped out and beat up most days…for the whole school year.
    Now that it’s summer…the first 2 weeks were sort of a detox time after a hard year of stress.
    I’ve spent it doing the things you’ve mentioned. I have loved being home and alone with just my thoughts & dogs (oh, and Jesus). He is using this time to REFRESH me and make me strong again.
    I think of other’s who don’t get a break from the stress and I thank God for my situation. I’ll have to remember it when I’m in the thick of it during the schoolyear.

40. Karen W says

One of my favorite ways to recharge is listening to music. If I’m feeling worn out, I put on whatever music suits my mood, and splash some water on my face. I cool down, let the music lift me up, and spend a few minutes contemplating the infinite love of God. When I get back to work, I try to manifest God’s love toward my family by giving them what He would like them to have, even if it’s just clean laundry or meatloaf with a side of cheer!

41. Esther says

Thanks for the word today, it is definitely a word in season for me.

JUST today, i was really feeling guilty and wondering if i was doing the right thing.

I’m a mom of 2 (7 and 3) plus expecting my third. My issue right now isn’t so much of finding me time when it’s just my kids and hubby in the house. I have since created a routine… put d kids to bed by 7.30/8pm have a bath and lock my self in a quiet room just to meditate, read or just be quiet for about an hour. Though not totally enough as i would like to but i’ve come to appreciate this season.

The main issue is i always have my siblings or one relative or the other coming to stay over for a long time which in my culture i have the duty to accomodate them all.

My older sister who has lots of issues stayed with me for 5 months then as she left 2 months ago, my brother has since been staying with me. Last 2 weeks she wanted to come back to stay for possibly a week or few months depending on when she gets her hospital appointment in the country where i live. (p.s for the last 7 years, it’s been one guest after the other)

Very hard decision… a break for me to try and be refreshed or accomodate her again for what may be a long time whilst having my other sibling still with me. I told her she could come for a short while but go back to the country where she lives to wait to be called for her appointment. (This made her very angry with me and leaving me feeling sort of guilty).

Reading this article gives me comfort to know that God expects me not to neglect myself but take time out to be refreshed and above all not feel guilty when i do.

Ex

42. Colleen G. says

Great post today! I like to say I need to “check out” for a while and when I come back I will be refreshed. Some of the ways I do it with the kids is outside. A trip to our historic Old Town to stroll the streets, stop at the train station where the kids have their lunch and I sip a coffee -ahhh. As for myself (mommy time)…taking a few moments to connect with a friend, of course over coffee or a nice walk. These are a few of my calgon moments” (lol) -Colleen G.

43. Tiffany Purnell says

When I need a momentary mental refresher, I like to listen to podcasts…especially ones that make me laugh like NPR’s “Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me.” Not only do I usually learn something new, but it allows me the release of laughing.

Hi there! Thank you so much for your post. The last couple of days i have been struggling a bit and this was really encouraging. For me, it’s easy to get frustrated and angry when the house looks like a junkyard and it seems that no one in the cares but me. lol Typical isn’t it though – I’m the only female in the house! My hubby and I have three boys and they are always on the go. I try to take me time but sometimes it doesn’t seem worth it. Why worry about me time when there is a ton of stuff to get done??

This has encouraged me that it is ok to take me time and it is ok to feel like I want to run away. I’m off to get a haircut tomorrow and I am going to enjoy the peace!!! :-)

God Bless

45. Heather P. says

In the midst of summer and in the middle of the school year, you can find me relaxing by playing games on facebook. Yes, it is year round, but believe it or not, FARMVILLE on facebook calms me down. I have quit playing time consuming games and play the games that actually calm me down. If anyone wants to join me in Journey of Jesus, I will welcome friends!!

46. Elaine says

In the summer, I enjoy taking at least 10 minutes (when it’s not raining) to sit in my swing (adult two-seater) in the backyard and gaze at the plants and flowers, listen to the birds and watch the butterflies. It’s very peaceful and refreshing.
    Year-round, I start out each morning and end each day reading the Bible and an accompanying Bible devotion book. It’s great to have that time alone with God. Prayer is another refresher when I’ve given all my worries and burdens to God. I just have to remember not to take them back again!

47. Jana says

I remember the book “Sometimes I Feel Like Running Away from Home” — I loved it! And I know what you mean about hiding it because of the title! When my husband saw the title, he said, “Honey, is there something you want to tell me?” I think every mom of young kids feels that way some or most of the time! (My kids are 19 & 21 now.)

• Kathryn says

Agreed. And thank you Glynnis for helping me recognize that this is normal and not something to feel guilty for. If only I could explain it better to my husband. Maybe I can get him to read the devotional! haha

I smiled when I read about your affinity for House Hunters International….I’m a fan too! :) I’m finding myself in need of a re-charge more and more these days. My work and my ministry are both centered on grief and loss and this can be so very hard some days! At my work, I am very blessed to have the flexibility to step out for a walk if I need to, or I keep a stash of Dove chocolates nearby. Other ways I refresh are a visit to my favorite coffee shop, singing praises loudly in the car, or sitting on my deck after kids are put to bed. Life is crazy at times and I am learning well the need for rest! Thank YOU for this precious reminder!

Teske

I have a Bible also at work, so if I need a mental break, I pick it up, word-search and look up the Scripture passage. I also listen to music at work to keep me focused.

At night (depending on the day), I either read some pages of a book or watch a show on TV (nothing particular, just something that turns my brain off from the day at work). I also make a point that take a photograph each and every day. It maybe something I just cooked or our doggies :)

50. Cynthia says

Thank you so much for sharing your insight. I have enjoyed reading your blog and today’s message really spoke to me. I’m heading off to refresh by hugging the people and dogs I love. May God continue to bless you with the ability to help others find Him.

51. apple says

Thank you for your encouragement!!!
    I am a mother of 3 beautiful daughters 8,6 and 3
    and your blog was for me!!!
    Btw, tv show House Hunter inter….i am fun too:))
    Love being mama and so grateful for God.
    It’s so true that God give us new strenth and His word is powerful!
    God bless.

52. Teresa says

When I need refreshing, I take my dog for a long walk and sing praise music while I’m walking, listening to the birds sing as though they are joining me in praising God

Before I got pregnant, hitting the gym for an hour or two (either in a class with people I don’t know or on the treadmill with the Asian Food Channel on) is my way to relax. Now that I am pregnant, it’s my all-time favorite, bath time. It’s also my way of connecting with the little person in my womb as I do tummy massage beforehand. I so agree with you that we cannot pour out of an empty vessel. On my “default setting,” I would just work and talk to people all I want, but it’s just doesn’t work that way. I praise God that He who doesn’t get tired acknowledges our limitation and even commands us to stop and be refreshed!
    I thank God for you, Glynnis, for reaching out to women like us with the love of God. May He bless you and your loved ones as much as you bless others!

54. Paula says

Dear Glynnis,
    I enjoyed “Sometimes I want to Run Away.” As a stay-at-home mom some 30 years ago I too was overwhelmed by the day to day activities of caring for not two or three but five small children (four sons and one daughter). I soon learned that if I were to be my best, I had to find a way to keep my sanity. The solution became consistent bedtime in the evenings. By 7:30 p.m. it was bathtime and bedtime by 8 p.m. When they were all in bed, it was story time and lights out. All of the water and “I want to go to the bathroom” was taken care of in-between bath and bedtime. By 8:30 p.m. I would have completed any chores, i.e. washing dishes, cleaning the bathroom, and starting a load of clothes. Afterwhich, I took time for me because you need that before you can have alone time with your spouse. I shared this with a church I am attending here in Hawaii shortly after my arrival a year ago. I felt like God I don’t think I am making a difference in the lives of the people here. Well, how wrong I was, a young military couple came to me several weeks ago to tell me that they took my advice about getting children to bed early and how it has really been a blessing to them. So I say look at God!

55. Kathryn says

I have a 7 month old baby and really struggled with this for a while. It can be really difficult at times being an extrovert that likes the outdoors that is a stay at home mom.

I found that I too like routine. Like Glyniss, I enjoy making myself a quick latte in the morning as my first treat.

My second treat is that I bought the Insanity DVD and do this at home when the baby goes down for a nap. It is ironic how something named “Insanity” can actually give me my sanity throughout the day. It helps me feel energized, healthy, and fit.

Another treat that I might make a habit of is passing off the baby on my husband’s off days and letting me swim across a local lake with our Beagle. It is 100-110 degrees in the summer where I live and this is quite relaxing and refreshing! Like Glynnis mentioned, I get to enjoy God in nature and spend time with my cute dog. :)

56. Robin Corns says

I am not a coffee drinker like most of the women who have written in but a southern sweet iced tea drinker and I LOVE my tea so that is how I start off my day with tea, reading my e-mailed devotionals and enjoying the quiet before my 14 year old daughter awakens. I have two daughters 18 and 14 so that is a set of problems all together, hormones and drama. Exercise, exercise, exercise is the key to keeping me sane, have done it for years to get me through all the stress that has come my way. During my time of walking when it’s not too cold or too hot I talk to the Lord otherwise I talk to him in the morning after my husband leaves and before my daughter awakens. We also joined a gym together and it has been a real blessing for my husband and I do something 3 times a week together, it has really made us closer and I’m an accountability partner for him. I started home schooling my daughter early this year, too much drama in school along her learning disabilities so quiet time in the morning before we get started helps me to help her. So enjoy Proverbs 31 it has made my day so many times and answered questions, like God was actually talking to me about my problem.

57. Robin Corns says

I am not a coffee drinker like most of the women who have written in but a southern sweet iced tea drinker and I LOVE my tea so that is how I start off my day with tea, reading my e-mailed devotionals and enjoying the quiet before my 14 year old daughter awakens. I have two daughters 18 and 14 so that is a set of problems all together, hormones and drama. Exercise, exercise, exercise is the key to keeping me sane, have done it for years to get me through all the stress that has come my way. During my time of walking when it’s not too cold or too hot I talk to the Lord otherwise I talk to him in the morning after my husband leaves and before my daughter awakens. We also joined a gym together and it has been a real blessing for my husband and I to do something 3 times a week together, it has really made us closer and I’m an accountability partner for him. I started home schooling my daughter early this year, too much drama in school along with her learning disabilities so quiet time in the morning before we get started helps me to help her. So enjoy Proverbs 31 it has made my day so many times and answered questions, like God was actually talking to me about my problem.

58. Julie says

Thank you so much for your devotional and blog post. For so long I have not had time to read the P31 devos and have made a point to do so this week. What a week to start! God knew exactly what I needed. This is something I have been struggling with so much. I have 2 little girls who are 5 and 5 months and lately I’ve been feeling so overwhelmed. This is just the encouragement I needed to make sure I am making time for myself. As someone else mentioned I am not a morning person, but it sounds like so many of you treasure that time in the morning. I am going to try to set a new habit of getting up before my girls and spending time alone with God. Finding time to do that in my day has been so difficult lately and has just made me discouraged and piled on more feelings of guilt. I am looking forward to finding times of refreshment and not feeling guilty about doing it. Thank you again so much for sharing this!

59. Mwrobins22 says

Things I do to refresh my spirit:

1) Watch some of my favorite pre-recorded tv shows by myself
    2) Anything that makes my 18-month old daugther laugh
    3) Listening to gospel music
    4) Walking outdoors

60. Breinny says

Aside from spending time with God every single day, I try to do the following:

1) Linger in moments of refreshment — when my daughter wants to wash my feet while she’s sitting in the bath tub, or my cat just wants to sit on me and purr for a while, I try to relax and really soak in these moments when someone or something else wants to love on me. :-) I need all the love I can get, too! I give so much of myself and I really strive to soak in someone else’s gifts of love toward me.

2) Get outside. When I am continually indoors, I begin to forget how big God is, and getting outside to hear birds singing, feel the sun on my face and feel the wind blow is good for my soul. I need to commune with nature in order to remember how beautiful Creation is, and how it is a constant reminder of what God has done for us. There is nothing like a sunrise to make you realize how much you’re loved — He didn’t have to make it so breath-taking, but He did because He wanted to delight you!

3) Pray. Whenever I am feeling overwhelmed or at a loss for where to start, I stop and pray.

61. Lori Ann says

Do I ever know that “running away” feeling, as well as the guilt that tags along with it!
    Although the busyness has changed over the years as the children have grown, it still is what it is. . . busyness. During the school year, I often carve “me time” into the time that I am waiting on my children. Because we live “out of town”, I often hang out when they have practice after school. I keep a Bible along with whatever book I am reading or magazine I am currently subscribing to in the car so that I can sit and read without the guilt of wasting precious time. During the summer months, I am blessed to be “unemployed”. As you know, that simply means this is when I catch up on all those things that have gotten away from me in my home during the busy school year. Since my children are home as well for the summer, I often have to remind myself to take the time to enjoy them. Although they are both grown now and very much independent, I do not wish to miss out on a relationship opportunity. Since we live in a one of God’s most beautifully landscaped countrysides, we often enjoy family walks in the evening around the small village we live in. There’s nothing more refreshing than a cool evening outdoors after a long, hot summers day.

My kids are all grown up and only one still lives at home (well, her stuff does, she’s rarely here LOL), but I find that between my school library job and several others (two Etsy shops, a Half.com used book shop, jewelry designing/creating, and a freelance writing gig), on top of taking care of the house and visiting my elderly father, I can go non-stop until I’m exhausted. I take breaks during the week to read and drink iced tea, but when I really need a break, I do what my husband calls “water therapy”: a nice hot tub with bath salts, a tall glass of iced tea, and a book. If that isn’t possible (and sometimes, even when it is), I put on a favorite worship CD and sing at the top of my lungs. This is also how I relax on long car drives….

63. Jennifer says

“SevenSacredPauses” by Macrina Weiderkehr is a fabulous book that has transformed my thought process on rest throughout the day as time for prayer and focus on various gifts from our Heavenly Father…hope it brings as much joy, pause & intentional connection to God for you as it has for me!

64. Daddies Anjol says

This article was so amazing! As a single mother or two I find myself often times being stretched in so many directions. I rarely ever take time for me and end up working myself over until I am no good to anyone. This causes physical, mental and spiritual strains and burdens. Lately I have started journaling and working out at a local gym to get some me time in! I like the refreshing feeling that these activities provide. As I get older I realize how important it is to stop and smell the roses. life is not a journey to be moved through quickly, but to be enjoyed slowly and fully.

65. Lisa says

Thanks for the reminder to slow down and honor the Sabbath day. Being a mom is no excuse for not resting, refreshing and taking care of ourselves….and yet, it is so hard to do. There is always work to be done at home or at work. I enjoy getting out once a month or so for a petticure, and really enjoy my morning coffee whether quietly alone or with my hubby. I am very blessed to be a stay at home mom now, something I have always wanted. But I have been the working mom, and then the single working mom.

To those who are single moms, by choice or by deployment or by death or divorce, my heart goes out to you. Rely on Him, and He will give you strength and carry you through. Turn to Him, and He will give you all you need. Our God is amazingly faithful, not to give us our every desire, but to wait patiently on us to recieve His every desire for us. His ways are always far better than anything we could want for ourselves.

66. noel says

What a timely article! I am a stay at home mom of 2 boys ages 2 and 4 and I just took some “me” time to go get a pedicure. My husband was at home for 2 hours in between HIStwo jobs and I had 1 hour before we had to leave for vacation bible school. My husband is not very understanding either so I. RARELY get time without either child, however I just make a firm plan and stick to it. That works for me to make an appt or put it on the calendar so I can’t back out if he is trying to make me feel guilty or one of the kids is crying. I don’t do it enough but hopefully we can keep encouraging each other

• Christelle says

Good for you, Noel, being firm about scheduling and sticking to your rare moments to refresh yourself. I guess I am not that strong…usually end up deciding it’s not worth the guilt trip. Prayers for you to stay the course and find refreshment every way you can. Lord bless you.

67. Norma says

The Proverbs 31 Ministries and this blog have been such a blessing to me when I have needed it the most. Thank you for taking the time to give to others, and reminding us that we are not alone! Connecting to other christian women and being able to share our everyday ups, downs, thoughts, and feelings truly refreshes my spirit! It helps me keep going and keeps my tank “full” so that I can keep on giving love when I feel overwhelmed and exhausted. It’s a picker upper!

Thanks again for bringing hope and a fresh perspective into our everyday life through God’s word! Blessings.

68. Kathy says

Just read “Sometimes I want to Runaway” and it described how I feel. Along with 3 children 20,14,5, I just moved my mother in with us. She has suffered several strokes and requires a lot of help so this adds to the runaway feeling. It is encouraging to know others have these feelings too. Thank you so for the devotions you share.