The Most Important Things to Remember

Today ends Melissa Taylor’s online study of my book.  And as a way of wrapping up, there are a few things I’d like to say, beginning with some ‘thank yous’!!”

First I must thank Melissa for believing that I had written something worth reading.  Being an author is a vulnerable thing.  And when I finished my book, I doubted that I had written anything original or helpful.  I wondered if anyone would connect with me … or was I the only one who felt like they were losing it at times?  Having Melissa choose my book was huge.  I know she’s my friend, but I also know she would NEVER select a book just because she knows the author.  So “thank you” Melissa for believing in me and leading this study with such humility and grace.

I also want to thank her team of beautiful sisters in Christ:  Stephanie Clayton, Christi Seat, Angie Combs and Heather Bleier – plus all the ladies who lead online groups.  I don’t know all of you by name, but I’m honored and blessed by your involvement in this study.

Finally, I want to thank all of you who participated in the study.  As I mentioned a few sentences ago, being an author is a scary calling.  At least it is for me.  And when I read your comments saying something affirming about something I had written, it was as if God Himself was nodding and saying, “See … I told you I’ve called you to do this.”  I’m so grateful to all of you.

Now, in closing, I’d like to end with what I think are the most important things to remember.  And one small, final “home” work assignment.”

Things to remember:

1)  Your identity and worth are NOT found in how organized your closets are, how clean your kitchen floor is or if you arrive at church on time.  Your identity and worth come from being a beloved daughter of the King.  You are chosen and of great and precious value to our Heavenly Father.  Never forget that.

2)  If I recycle all my old magazines, pack away winter coats and alphabetize my spices but have not love, I have nothing.  Loving others and loving God trumps it all.  Knowing when to stop what I’m doing in order to love someone else always blesses me in the end.

3)  It’s okay to get help with what you aren’t particularly good at.  That’s what friends are for.  Accepting help does not make you less than.  It makes you wise.

4)  I am a steward of the time and resources God has given me.  Seeing my schedule, home and responsibilities in this light keeps me motivated.  I am accountable to Someone, and I love Him very much.  I desire to earn the trust of my Heavenly Father.

5)  Life is always a juggling act and having a perfectly balanced life is a myth.  There is always something or someone demanding more of my time and attention.  I’m always reevaluating my priorities and reallocating my time.  So while I’d love to have a perfectly scheduled life, that’s impossible.  I’ve learned to accept life as it is, be flexible, and seek to be kind and gracious at all times in spite of the demands.

Now to the “home” work:

Getting organized is an ongoing assignment.  But it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and slip back into old patterns.  That’s why it’s important to have a few fundamental systems in place.  Here are a few key systems I set up years ago that I use every day:  1)  my  filing cabinets for important papers  2)  how I process daily snail mail and 3) managing current school papers my children bring home.   Without those basic systems, I wouldn’t know what to do with all the paper that accumulates in my house.

So my assignment for you is to identify what systems you need to have in place.  Maybe it’s what to do with books, out-of-season clothes, sports equipment, photos, shoes, hats, etc.  Make a list and put it in your project management notebook (you did create that, right?  LOL).  Then pick one and tackle it this month.  Then next month, pick another.  Bit by bit you’ll establish a firm foundation for your home and office.

Finally,

I do have one favor to ask.  It’s my prayer that you enjoyed my book.  And if you did, would you be willing to leave a comment on Amazon and Barnes and Noble letting others know what you thought about it?   I would really appreciate it.  To get to Amazon, click here.  To get to Barnes and Noble, click here.  Thank you!

Looking ahead in the next few weeks, on August 27th, I’ll be starting a 10-day back-to-school series with tips on getting you and your children organized, plus some encouragement for moms who are feeling a bit weepy sending their children off to school (I’m one of them).  I’ll write more about it on Monday.  Hope you’ll join me.

With love,

P.S.  If you’d like to leave a comment, please click here to be taken to my blog.

Comments

1. Jennifer D. says

Thank you, Glynnis! This study has been awesome. It has been exactly what I’ve been needing. I’ve already put a lot of your tips into place and things seem much better around the house the last couple weeks. Looking forward to the Back to School study. I’m a “weepy” mother with a kindergartner starting this year. :) Thanks, again.

2. Susan says

Thank you so much, Glynnis, for trusting your call to write! I do feel your vulnerability and willingness to be real and am so encouraged by your book and devotions!! I especially appreciate your super organization ideas and encouragement. I implemented several during this study as we again moved to a new state…God’s timing amazes me! I was also reminded that it’s OK for my house and systems to be unique to my family’s needs. Yeah!! Plus the encouragement to work through my mind clutter especially to take time to be still and let God set my priorities was such a eye opener! Thanks so much for sharing from your heart!! :)

3. Catherine says

Glynnis, I so enjoyed your book. It gave me many things to order and pray about. Most importantly that my organization or lack there of is not a reflection of me necessarily but to do it to honor God, what He has entrusted me with in ALL aspects, money, things, love, and time. Thank you so much for writing it.

I could just say ditto to Catherine. I have read many an organization book, but yours is the first to get underneath the cluttered counters and address and learn to accept who we are. I have mistakenly identified myself with how clean my home is, but I am working on seeing myself as a prized possession of my Father. Thank you for being His hands extended to all of us through this book. I have implemented systems that I feel will “stick” this time. Many, many blessings. :)

5. cathee says

Thank You for ALL your encouraging information, it has helped and is helping me immensely. This was my first On-line bible study. I am sooooooo glad that I joined this one. Focusing on our relationship with God and family is the best part. Blessings!

Glynnis, thank you for taking the risk to answer God’s call for you. This book and study has changed/grown me. For me, the point of having an ordered life is not so I can be successful but so I can serve effectively. Helping other women become equipped to use their gifts/talents to serve in their sphere of influence is what it is all about for me…encouraging others along in their relationship w/Jesus. You have done that for me & I am grateful. You have done that for many. I will certainly leave comments at Amazon & Barnes & Noble so that many more can have victory over chaos/confusion. My daughter is visiting & reading the book now. Yah! Does being orderly have eternal value? You betcha! I cleaned out my closet and donated the excess to the church youth garage sale. A shopper at the garage sale was introduced to Jesus! Our son’s friend who is seeking was given the leftover furniture from the sale as he is rather destitute trying to rebuild his life. He was also given a Bible, attended a midweek Bible Study and generally loved on by many. I found a $100 bill while going through my scarves to donate to the garage sale & was able to send our grown daughter, son, his girlfriend who is seeking Christ & the seeking friend to a seminar on Godly relationships. Our daughter was fiercely impacted & ready to make changes in their home for godliness that will impact the next generation. All this because a sweet little mama with a house full of youngins & a too full schedule yielded her plans to God and said, “Yes, Lord, I will, with your help, write a book about organization/home management.” you obeyed, God blessed.

7. Lee Ann says

Your book has been such a blessing in my life. At a time when I felt my life was spiralling out of control, God put this book and study in my life. Thank you for having the courage to follow you dreams and be an author. God is great!! Blessings to you and your family!

8. Anita says

Glynnis, I want to say a huge THANK YOU!!! God has been working wonders in my life since starting your study!!! It wasn’t my home that needed the organization so much as my mind!!! I love this part best of all of what you wrote above: ” If I recycle all my old magazines, pack away winter coats and alphabetize my spices but have not love, I have nothing. Loving others and loving God trumps it all. Knowing when to stop what I’m doing in order to love someone else always blesses me in the end.” Thank you for joining God’s work when he called you to write this book!!! Blessings!!!!!

9. Anonymous says

Thanks for writing your book. Very helpful on organizing personal life and making sure we allocate that daily time with Christ and knowing when to stop organizing stuff and help others.
    When I started this book life was normal but halfway through life chaned, not in a good way. I appreciate your ending, talking about Job and the hurdles to climb, keeping focused on Him. Great book that includes everything for everyone!

Glynnis thank you so much for listening to God’s to write this book! Wow o wow it has been awesome! I have so much work left to do Burr I feel great about the accomplishments I have made. Thank you for taking your time to spend with us this summer through all the difficult situations you have had to deal with in your personal life. I can not wait for our last conference call to be able to hear what you want to share with us. God bless and have a fantastic weekend!

11. Ginny B says

I thank God for your obedience to him in writing this book. It has been such a blessing to me and helped me not only step towards reclaiming my organization, but also to step closer to God as well. I have already shared my praises for the book on Amazon, as well as with all of my friends. Looking forward to your back to school series.

12. Rebecca Portteus says

I am going to keep this short, because I am stealing a few minutes of peace right now (smiles), but thank you, thank you, thank you! I enjoy my God given blessings so much more and I am better able to manage them. Thank you for stepping out in faith and writing a book that speaks to my heart.

13. Lynda Parker says

Glynnis, I just want to thank you so much for writing and sharing a book with me, that is changing my life! I have already changed so many things in my life! This has honestly been the best (and life changing) study I have ever been in! I LOVE ALL of the Proverbs 31 girls, you, Melissa, Lysa and ALL OF YOU! Thank you so much for caring about our relationship with Jesus and for investing in our lives!! LOVE YOU!

14. Nichole says

Glynnis, this book was so much more than I expected it to be. I was excited to spend the summer getting my house & things organized and ready for another school year. But, wow I got so much more! The first half of your book blessed me. It really taught me and challenged me to make sure my priorities are in order & mind is decluttered before all the physical things can be organized. Thank you!

15. Sue C says

Thank you God for giving Glynnis the heart/mind/opportunity to write this book. There are so many ideas that are so simple, but useful to help me in my home. I love the rolladex item–I have taken some avery labels and used to them type up my passwords so my hubby can easily have access to them–i plan to add my contact list as well–i had everything on an excel spreadsheet–but this will be easier for my family–I love how she uses God’s words throughout the book–I will go back to the book when I get ready to start another project! Thank you for sharing with us!

16. Pat E. says

Glynnis, I have so enjoyed your book!! I’ve always been a fairly organized gal, and many of your ideas I had used when my own children were little. I am in a different season of life, being an empty nester and on my 8th year of working. By reading your book, I didn’t realize how cluttered some areas had become, so I’ve have really enjoyed cleaning out and uncluttering my life again. I especially loved how you explained how allowing stuff and clutter takes precious time away from the LORD.

17. Sherry Ware says

Posted on B&N and Amazon:

Love this book! It’s more than just another organization book, although it’s great in that aspect – it’s also about prioritizing life to make sure first things come first and the rest comes after. It’s about not letting your self-esteem be measured by how your house looks and what others think of you. Five stars from me.

18. Patti H says

Glynnis: It’s been inspiring and helpful especially today’s post for this OCD “never quite good enough” gal. You inspire, challenge and support me through your books, writings and His gifts He’s given you. Thank you.

19. Dana says

Thank you Glynnis! Your step by step ideas are exactly what I needed. Thank you for giving me a plan of attack, but mostly I thank you for 2 more important things: encouragement and perspective!

20. Kristi Seat says

Dear Glynnis,

You book was such a blessing to me and to so many. Learning how to prioritize and to seek God in every area of our life is the only true way to organize our hearts, minds and homes. Although I may not be able to organize a drawer or a closet at the moment, I feel as if God has used your words to allow me to find more peace as He directs my To-Do List and each day. I think there will always be a need for progress and I’m so glad that I have your book to return to at a later point when I do have a home to order. I’m praying sweet blessings over you and your family as well as each day of your life. Thank you for sharing this season with us.

I am just reading the book now and had a big AHA moment while reading the priorities chart. I have been thinking of it for two days. Now I need to list my own. It will be pretty telling.

22. Stephanie W says

Awesome book! Exactly what I needed this summer! Loved it from beginning to end – great practical and physical tips. Can’t wait to keep going with my on-going organization! That’s saying a lot for me ;) God bless you Glynnis!! Keep on keeping it real!!

23. Charisse says

The only books selected for the online Bible studies have been from authors in the Proverbs 31 ministries as I remember. Have there been studies done from any others?

Charisse,
      Probably the online Studies you have seen have all been led by Proverbs 31 Team Members.

Although I haven’t written a book, I have found so much value, Biblical principles, and life application from the Proverbs authors that I personally choose their books to lead in my online Bible studies. I don’t pick the book because it’s by a Proverbs 31 author, I pick it because I think it’s a fabulous message for women.

Occasionally we may choose another author. In November, I will be leading an online Bible study using the book, Greater, by Pastor Steven Furtick, but in January, I’ll jump right back in with another book from a Proverbs 31 Ministries author :)

When you and I discussed this book on the high seas back in January, I had NO IDEA the impact it would have on me and the thousands who went through the study with me. Not only did we receive instant value as we were reading, but we received the tools to equip us to move forward while keeping realistic expectations of ourselves.

Thank you so much for not only writing the book, but also for taking an active part in this study by writing each Friday and challenging us to apply the message. I am so grateful to you for all you have done.

And I’m even more grateful for your friendship! Love you :)
    Melissa

25. Marina says

Your book was my first experience of an online study, and I have loved the experience! I’m still working through at my own pace, and your book has been a source of encouragement and inspiration. Your style is not just practical and full of ideas, but also gracious and kind to your readers. It’s just what I needed with a 4 month old baby, a 2 year old and an elderly mother to care for.Thank you for sharing the path you’ve created to organisation!
    Marina

26. Lauren Beach says

Glynnis ~ Thank you so much for this awesome book. This book has blessed my home life and heart more than words can explain. My house is looking more an dmore beautiful everyday. I tell my self one day at a time..it might takes months to get it totally organized but WOW it is looking great! And living in Arizona as well (so much dirt) being organized at home so helps to keep all that dirt ourside where it belongs :) I will be recommending your book to everyone I know. Looking forward to more books from you.

God Bless you <3

27. Jeanie Kelley says

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I have totally enjoyed this Bible Study. I needed a lot of the hints you had in it. I am in the process of helping one of the women at church. I will be praying for you and your family.I am more organized than I was. I am still getting rid of items that I no longer need. Will do a little bit more then I think I will have it done.

28. Tracey says

Glynnis, Thank You so much for your book , your blogs and your involvement with us…
    I ( and so many others) were so blessed by this in more ways than just organizing! Setting our priorities, saying no , and the most important putting God first. when we do that HIS Priorities for us fall right into place! We need to be reminded and you did it beautifully.. the organizational tips and ideas were icing on a delicious cake… (((hug)))

29. Helen says

Thank you Glynnis, I really enjoyed your book. I got so much out of the first few chapters about God and my relationship with Him that to be honest I haven’t really even got to the organising part! It has been a great few weeks and I will be disappointed it is over. Off to leave a review on amazon now…

G’day Glynnis,
    I just wanted to let you know that yours was the first study I have had the privilege of leading as part of Melissa’s OBS and I have LOVED it! The girls in my Facebook group have blossomed and grown as they have tackled each of your challenges head on. They have posted ‘before’ and ‘after’ photos of areas in their homes and shared how much this book has changed their lives. A number of the girls in my group are from Australia (as I am!) so I want to encourage you and let you know that your book has gone further than perhaps you dreamed it would!
    Yes, you were vulnerable.
    Yes, we connected with you!
    Yes, what you wrote was original and helpful.
    You were called to write this book and you answered the call. So thank you!
    Personally, for me, the best part of this study is remembering what you said right at the beginning of your blog post today: my identity and worth are NOT found in how organized my wardrobe is, how clean my kitchen floor is or whether I arrive at church on time. My identity and worth come from being a beloved and chosen daughter of the King.
    It’s been a pleasure getting to know your heart through this study and I can’t wait to read what comes next.
    God bless
    Nicki
    x

31. Lisa Byrd says

I enjoyed your book immensely. It really motivated me to do a little each day. My husband lost his keys last week(very unlike him) and my sister came over to help us search in cupboards, cabinets, high and low, inside and out! After searching with us, she said “I have to say, your house is pretty organized.” Oh, Glynnis, this was beautiful music to my ears! I only have 3 closets to tackle, and then it is on to “maintenance” phase =) Thank you for writing a book that helped me stay on task and slowly but surely get my home to where it is today.

32. Donna B says

Thank you sooooo much for saying “yes” to God! Loved the book, the message and the words that He gave you to fill the pages. Thank you for sharing your heart and your life with us! Love all of the takeaways from the chapters …. but I really really loved the ones from Chapter 1 and 21:

“Above all, I am on a journey to discover God’s best for my life, which isn’t always what I thought it would be. Although I’m a doer by nature, I have (for me, it’s I am) learning God cares much more about my character and the condition of my heart than the quantity or quality of my work. Finding order and peace is an ongoing process, because life keeps changing. (Chapter 1)

To finish our race well, we need to cast off every weight and sin that hinders us from completing God’s call on our lives. ‘When we keep our eyes on Jesus, nothing is easier; when we are not looking at Him, nothing more impossible!’” (Chapter 21)

And it was great meeting you and Natalie at She Speaks and talk FB posts with you. So looking forward to keeping up with you on your blog and FB! Once again, thanks for opening your heart and your life wide open for Jesus to use in ours.

Blessing and hugs,
    Donna

33. Kim Golds says

I was an FB group leader for this study. What a powerful book. Thank you so much for an Awesome Book and study. The chapter on healthy boundaries and when to say no was so eye opening and powerful. I have been practicing how to do this well. May God Bless you in abundance… Love and Hugs, Kim

34. Donna Sc says

Glynnis, thank you, thank you! I connected so much with many, many things you wrote. I hi-lighted everywhere. I’ve got two chapters to go. Tried to tackle the reading and haven’t gotten to the doing, but many things are implanted in my mind to start. I want so much but really trying to say it’s ok where I am and not to feel bad I don’t have it ALL done. My clutter has overwhelmed me for so long it was sooo good to work on the mind first and now I really want to take the first step in doing. My battle to keep the Lord first and then everything else is always on going so thank you for clearly putting that into action. LOVED the book! ~Donna Sc

35. Veronica Nightingale says

Glynnis, thank you so much! I have not put all of the things I want to do in place, but I have started several and now have the info to do the rest. My kitchen drawers are better organized and I have begun to organize my papers. Your book rocks and I will go to Barnes and Noble to tell them so! Joining this online study was one of the best things I did this summer! God bless you and thank you for listening to Him and writing this book!

Glynnis..>Thank you for your obedience in writing and faithfulness in sharing. I will continue implementing changes and becoming more productive because of the help and encouragement from your book! So glad I participated in this study.