Why do I blow it??

Today on Encouragement for Today, I wrote about a time (not too long ago) when I blew it with one of my children.

One frustration after another piled on top of me.  Being late piled on to a broken rear view mirror, piled on to rush hour traffic, piled on to a frustrated teenager, and all kinds of yuck poured out of me.

My reaction wasn’t honoring to God, nor was it honoring to my son.

In that moment, I valued myself (my emotions, my circumstances, my to-do list) above my son (and his emotions, circumstances and to-do list).

God convicted me quickly of my attitude, and I’m so glad He did because I was able to choose humility (even though my flesh wanted to defend my right to snap).  With God’s help, I set the relationship with my son above my need to be right.

As I’ve thought more about this issue of justifying myself, God brought another scripture to mind:

Philippians 2:3-4, “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.”

Oh how hard this is for me.  Especially when it comes to wanting the last word.

Which I want.

Always.

But most of the time, my desire for the last word … my desire to speak my mind … my desire to be understood … doesn’t come from a pure heart.

Sadly, there’s usually some selfish ambition or pride trying to sneak its way in through a crack.  Pride is a weakness of mine, and so Philippians 2:3-4 is a key verse for me to remember.

When I value and honor others above myself, those cracks get smaller.

This idea to value and honor others above ourselves is opposite of what world tells us to do.  The world tells us honor people because of who they are or what they do – in comparison with us. With this mindset, people must earn honor and respect.

However, God tells us to honor people because of who we are.

Honoring each other is a choice we make. And I’ve found that it has to flow from a place of humility.

It’s not easy being a follower of Jesus.  I’m just telling it like it is.  Some days it feels like I’m always the one who has to rein it in, have self-control and make loving choices.

But here’s the good news.  The peace God has given me when I set aside my rights is a gift – pure and simple.

Here’s something to remember today when your boss snaps at you, your husband is late or your child calls you on the freeway annoyed:

It’s a blessing to show honor to others … not because they deserve it, but because you deserve peace.

Thanks for joining me today.

Love,

Comments

HELP!! I sooo wanted to watch the doggie video…I have two Labs that absolutely LOVE to ride in the car, however all I got when I clicked the video was “This video is private”. Someone help, please.

2. IESHA says

Glynnis:

Thanks for this. I needed this, this morning. I have been so busy with things and not really accomplishing much, but just knowing that whatever I do I need to, as though God is watching me and do it with humility and patience. Which reminds me, I need to look up verses on verses of procrastination or something that is related to it. I KNOW I have a problem with follow through and this is one of those verses that reminds me of this, in a weird sort of way, but it reminded me of that and I thank you for this devotion this morning.

With love God bless,

Iesha

3. Annie says

I cannot thank you enough for the P31 devotion this morning!! It was like reading my life from last week! I desperately needed that today! Thank you so much for being faithful to share with us!

Glynnis, reading your devotional this morning reminded me of a stress-filled day I had last week. Unkind words spewed out of my mouth so fast I couldn’t contain them! I was left feeling guilty and asking for grace, grace, grace from my kids.

God has given me the gift of communication but I sometimes use it in the wrong way & with the wrong attitude. Thank you for sharing Philippians 1:27a with your readers today. I’m definitely putting that one to memory!

Love & continued prayers,
    Leah

Thanks Glynnis – I soooo needed this reminder today as I blew it (big time!) last week with my family. I chose selfishness over them and, as a result, my actions toward them were bitter and harsh. YUCK.

Thank you…thank you…thank you…for the reminder to value others above myself, even though it isn’t always easy.

God’s best to you today,
    Faye

6. Carole says

I so needed this reminder this morning, Glynnis. Thank you for sharing. Philippians 2:3-4 as it is so powerful.

7. Ann says

I, too, needed this reminder today. It is so often hard to be humble, but life is so much better when we are!

8. Brenda Diskin says

Good Morning Ladies, I too, “blow” sometimes. God’s Word always helps, IF I have allowed it. My husband and I are 72 and 70 raising an 11 yr old granddaughter that we have adopted. I am trying to contact other Christians in the same circumstance. We need all the help and support possible. “Brenda”

9. LC says

I think this devotional was written for me this morning. I only wish I had read it before I vented to my supervisor about our boss. I didn’t say anything other than how the situation made me and my constituents feel and that I needed guidance when none had been given. I have been dealing with lack of communication, bullying, apathy, and suffering (along with others) due to this individual’s self-serving ploys. I have remained quiet about it for sometime and let myself get emotional in private last week. But I am in a trap in this job in an area in which nothing else is available to work to support my family. I guess I had held it in for so long that the injustice has gotten to me. I have gone back to Psalm 37 to help me cope. I have gotten to the point that I don’t like to look at this man because I see evil, but I have to show honor or he will ‘win’ (in his eyes). Thanks and please pray for me that his heart will also be softened.

Hi Brenda,

We are in the same circumstances as you are raising our grandchildren that we have adopted. My husband and I are 53 and 51 raising two and a three year old boys. We understand the situation you are in. I find I blow it more when I am tired, and also when I have not taken the time to remember (or have forgotten) what it is like to be a preschooler. I am working on getting a regular quiet time beyond a few short minutes, so often rely on what is already “hidden in my heart” I am reminded today that the behavior I want modeled in my children, I have to model for them, including the when I blow it and asking for forgiveness part.

Brenda, I would love to exchange information to contact each other. I am finding I am not really fitting in with the young moms, and my empty nester and retired friends are not really understanding because of where they are even though they are wonderful!

Joanne Peterson

11. Nancy says

Hmmmm, we might be twins. Thank-you for this devotional it is providing light on a lot of “discussions” I have had with God about “my rights”. :/
    Thank-you again.

12. diki says

Wow, did i ever need this today. Thank you for for your transparency and for sharing with us. I especially liked Philippians 1:27a from your Proverbs 31 Devotion… “Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ.” I never thought of it this way before. Well, i don’t really know if i ever even thought about that verse before this but i surely will now. In fact maybe i should tape it in every room in my apartment.

Oooo, such a great post!
    I am working as the secretary on a small board and one of the board members is, ahem, hard to love.
    He frankly does not deserve my respect.
    I was trying to figure out how to handle him without blowing my top or even without being snippy or snide. I wanted to deal with it in a Godly way.
    I love this perspective!
    I need to honor him because of who *I* am, not because of who he is. And I do deserve that peace!!
    Thanks for the insight, you are a blessing!

Hi Glynnis,

Yes, I blow it too, sadly, and am so thankful for their forgiveness, and second chances. :) This verse has been going through my mind lately: “May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O God, my Rock and my Redeemer.”

Have a great week, Glynnis.

Jennifer Dougan

15. Treasure says

I read half if this last night but when I got to the part where the verse was write out I had to stop and find the verse in my bible and the email it to my coworker at church and apologize for my attitude on Sunday morning.
    Thank you for being right where I needed you.

16. Carol says

Just this morning I was asking myself how it is that no one can ever explain to me where the line is between being a doormat for everyone else and being a Jesus girl when it comes to feeling taken advantage of, overworked, etc. This helps a LOT. I’ll do things to avoid a confrontation (and I do realize that there are times to address an issue) but so often my feeling put-out is just because it didn’t fit my plans at the moment. Instead of the mental grouchy, gripey conversation I have with myself, I need to turn it into a chance for honoring which in turn will bring me peace.

Great words of wisdom! It is so hard to be quiet sometimes and stay in a place of humility. I pray daily that God will help me to be that person at work who doesn’t say too much or respond too quickly and that co=workers will see Jesus in me because of my humility. Thanks for you encouraging words today.