God’s Strength Keeps Me Going

People often ask me, “How do you handle all you do?”

Depending on the situation, I can answer in a variety of ways:

1)  I’m wired this way. And that’s partly true.  I have a God-wired ability to stay focused in the midst of chaos … most of the time.  My husband says I’m more left-brained than him and he’s an engineer.

2) I stay organized.  Most of the time.  Having a fundamental structure of my life that’s organized save me time and frustration.  Usually, I can find what I need when I need it.  Usually, I have dinner planned.  Usually, I prepare in advance.

3)  My kids are older.  We still have issues, but they are different.  And three of my kids drive so that is a huge help.

But when people ask me that question, it’s usually when I’ve shared something that has changed my life more than anything else.  It’s pushed me to the edge of myself, made me question who I am, made me question God about what He saw in me that made Him choose me for this assignment, and it’s made me cling to Him with more desperation than I ever have.  And that’s adopting two little girls from Africa.

I haven’t written much about the challenges due to respecting my family’s privacy. And also there’s this part of me that doesn’t ever want to discourage an adoptive parent with how hard our journey has been.  But it’s been the most costly thing I’ve ever done.  But also possibly the most important thing as well.

In 2005 we adopted two girls, ages 8 and 10, from war-torn Liberia.  We knew nothing about their background, other than it contained deprivation of the kind even other poor countries hadn’t experienced.  No running water, no electricity, no school, no exposure to books or even television.  Just basic existence for 8 and 10 years.

Welcoming these little girls into our family of five at first seemed easy.  They responded well to our love.  They started to thrive with good food and education.  But very soon we realized challenges.  And then very sad truths about what happened in Africa started being uncovered.

With one girl we realized cognitive challenges. With the other behavioral. Significant behavioral issues based on neglect and abuse. And here’s where my story stops, as we are still living every day with those challenges. And there are privacy issues. But these challenges  have affected me and my husband. They have affected our three biological children.

And here’s what I discovered, all my God-wired ability to think through chaos, all my attempts at organization and having older kids didn’t prepare me for this.

But God’s strength did.

How do I manage all I do?  Every day I turn to God and tell Him … I don’t have it in me to do this one more day, I need Your strength.

I don’t have the patience in me for this … I need Your patience.

I can’t think straight right now … I need Your clarity.

I’m not even sure I have love in me right now … I need Your love.

And every day I get my portion for that day.  I get just enough strength to get through today.  Just enough patience.  Just enough clarity.  And a new definition of love that’s stronger and tougher and more determined than I have ever experienced.

I wish I would write more about my experience, and maybe someday I will.  But for now it’s brought me to my knees, it’s made me more humble, it’s made me less judgmental and it’s made me depend on God more than ever.

God’s strength is enough.  But I had to get to the end of mine to learn that.

Are you going through a hard situation today? Do you need God’s strength in a desperate way?  I’d love to pray for you.

Leave a comment and I’ll commit to praying for you by name over the coming days. If you are reading this in an email, click here to be taken to my blog.

I love you, dear sisters.  God is enough for all of us.

Comments

1. Debbie says

What a beautiful and inspiring story. Thank you for sharing your struggles with us, but more importantly for reminding us of how our loving and amazing God transforms our lives each day when we are open to Him. My overload button continuously needs God’s strength as I move through life–I’m thankful his arms are so strong!
    Prayers for you also.
    Debbie

Thank you for this comment Debbie. I agree with you about God’s arms being strong. Wish I hadn’t tried to be so strong on my own for so long.

• Monica Bryson says

I appreciate your truthfulness. It reminded me to take one day at a time because his grace is sufficient.

2. Nadeline says

I needed to hear these words. I needed to be reminded that I can depend upon yesterday’s strength today. Thank you goe sharing.

Thank you for sharing. I have 6 grown children and have been married 39 year . The ma rage has been very rough , My husband has cheated for years and did not care when i found out about the other women in his life. I was a stay home mom, my husband was the provider, he had a great job. I stayed because i had no where to go , and my kids were small. we are retired now, my heart is often very cold thoughts him. He feels everything is fine now. And it’s just me and him. I struggle with forgiveness,He does not want to talk about it , seek professional help.He tells me i live in the past, and you can not change the pas.

Nana – I’m praying for you today … for God’s peace and wisdom. May you feels God’s love … it never fails or turns away. You are chosen and cherished by Him.

• Pam says

Nana, I also had a husband who cheated on me and eventually abandoned me to be with someone else. However, somehow I knew I didn’t want any bitterness to grow inside me. Something that helped me very much with God’s help was that whenever a thought of him occurred to me, I asked God to bless him. I didn’t have to stop loving him although there was still so much hurt. I found in time it became very healing for me to ask God to bless him every time the enemy or life threw some sort of flaming arrow thought my way. It was up to God how to bless him… not my concern any longer… but that choice kept (and still keeps) me from letting any poison pool in me. If it seems good to you, try using that strategy when the cold thoughts come (about anyone). You will be cleansed and healed as you let His love flow through your thought life. Much love, Nana… Pam

• valleygirl says

That is great advice Pam! I’m struggling with loving some close family members because of the deep hurts caused by them. I still struggle with these things 30 yrs later. I want God to heal me and be free but I can’t seem to get there. I keep recalling the past. I will start praying for those people when those bad memories come back to me. It can be a springboard to prayer and we can start a new habit of putting off and putting on as Scripture says to do. Thanks Pam! Nana, let’s pray God helps us follow this wise counsel.

3. Terri says

Please pray for me and my adult son who struggles with issues of defeat, rejection & fear. He is a believer. Thanks for your devotional; it spoke volumes to me.

Terri

Terri – I”m praying for your son. And I’m praying for God to fill your heart with peace and give you sweet sleep at night.

4. Kitty says

Glynnis: your devotion spoke to my very soul as I have been nudged to get involved in foster care/adoption and, as God would have it, just within the last 24 hours, I have been starting to learn the requirements for it in my county. The Lord starting speaking this to my heart late last year and I have had all the reasons why I’m not strong enough to pursue it now (it wasn’t like I was saying no…just not right now–which, yes, I well know, IS saying no–it’s just how I’ve spun it)…

And, FWIW, I didn’t want to post this comment (it’s not really my “thing”) but I couldn’t say no, not now any longer… ;-)

Am praying for you and your precious family, too…Love, Kitty

Kitty – thank you for leaving a comment. There are so many children in this world who need adults with strength and integrity to step forward to care for them. May God be your sustainer and give you discernment into broken places that can’t be seen by human eyes.

And thank you for stepping out of your comfort zone to leave a comment. :-) You blessed me today by doing that.

5. Inta says

thank you for your encouragement. I just mentioned to the Lord in my quiet time this morning how very weary I am with the difficult situation I find myself in. The Lord spoke to me through your devotional. I would appreciate your prayers, and will pray for you as well.

Thank you for your prayers. I’m praying for the Lord to fill you with hope and joy that surprises you. And may He give you peace that passes human understanding.

Beautiful post Glynnis! It’s when we come to the end of ourselves that God can show Himself strong in the situation. Praying for you as you raise these two precious girls – for His strength, His wisdom, and His love to be poured through you. God bless~

7. Julie N. says

Thank you for offering to pray. I have been on psychotropic medication for more than 20 years. I am generally well but yesterday, I became depressed over a trigger point that was minor. This morning saw tears and sobs. So would appreciate your prayer. Thank you once again.

8. Kim says

Thank you so much for sharing your struggles and your faith. You touched me and God spoke through you. My situation and challenges are different but God’s love is the same and remembering all I need to do is ask is sometimes the simple prayer I forget when life gets complicated. My family and I are experiencing growth, financial, and health trials. Thank you for your prayers for us. I am praying for you and your family. With much gratitude and love <3

9. marsha says

Your post could not have come at a better time. As I sit here in this hospital bed trying to accept the fact there are no more children in my future I struggle with the peace I had originally when coming in for surgery. Just a few weeks ago after dealing with intermitten pain for the past year my ob finally did a sonogram indicating an orange sized cyst that had attached itself to my ovary. Other indicators showed a fybroid the size of an orange attached to my uterus. The next step was to remove the ovarian cyst along with the tube on the left leaving me a chance for another child later. I felt at peace and comforted by HIS hands that all would be well. Things did not go so well and the cyst had wedged itself between my bowel, uterus and was large enough to affect my kidney. If the doctor attempted to cut the ovary out there was a large chance I would bleed out. The uterus was enlarged and determined it to be endometerosis. I understand the choice he made and I am blessed with 2 girls. At 33…peace?

• cheryl says

marsha,
      if you could see me type this you would see tears in my eyes. there are many of us out there that ache for more children. I am sorry for the things that are going on in your life that has closed the door from you giving birth to more children. Praise the Lord for the blessings that he has given you before all this happend. Praying that you will continue to feel and experience His peace in the days to come.
      sending a hug
      Cheryl

• Pam says

Marsha, Please remember that you are possibly still very emotional from the hormones that are released whenever doctors touch our feminine organs in some way during surgery. Ups and downs of emotions are to be expected during this time. Also, He saved your life through this procedure! Glory to His Name! Your fruitfulness is not measured by how many children you physically bear. (I am 55 and single with none but God has given me many “children” that I teach and care for as well as younger women I encourage.) Be easy on yourself as you heal– and because He lives, you can face tomorrow.

Marsha – you must be experiencing so many emotions. And I have learned in situations like that to allow myself to feel them all – grief, resentment, anger and frustration. None of them are wrong or right. God will meet you right where you are and bring healing to your heart. I’m praying you experience God in a new way through this. May He be your peace and joy in His timing. Thank you for sharing this with us. Love, Glynnis

10. Pat says

Every day I pray that the next day I am going to feel better. When I wake up I still feel the same way. This is very discouraging. Every day I look for something that will cure my ailments. Every day is a challenge. Every day is also a blessing and one day closer to my final destination with my heavenly Father. I will be praying for you and ask that you pray for me for God’s healing touch.

• Trish says

Pat I know you are struggling. I know how it feels to wake up in the morning and my heart is racing and I am terrified, and don’t know why. I am having to make big changes in my life. Even though I struggle, life as I knew it is over, I do believe that God has a plan for me. I am learning to take it one day at a time and keeping my mind open so I can hear God’s instructions. Try to think positive, I have wanted to give up so many times in my life, wanted to go home to be with my Father, but until He is ready for me I have to work to fulfill His Plan. You are in my prayers. Every day is another day to heal.

Pat – God sees you, dear one. He knows your pain and I imagine His heart is longing to remove it all for you. But I believe He wants to bring that healing here. He has a plan for you. Be careful not to confuse your plans with His. Nor to put your expectations on yourself. His burden is light, not heavy.

You are His beloved and He sings over you. May you feel His sweet presence today.

Love,

11. Robin says

I’m going crazy with my four kids everyday. My one son is off meds for the summer. He riles up the other two. I have a baby who is patient but needs attention, too. I need to find a job, and that requires looking. I have been blessed in so many ways—healthy children, a wonderful husband—and I forget to ask God for the strength for my day.

I have 6, and each day I’m I’m awe that I made it to the end. I realize God gave those precious sons and daughters to me, and vice versa. He gave me to them. No one can mother them the way God impresses me to mother. Even my faults are part of the unique package that make me THEIR mother. Same for you Pat, you may think you’re in over your head sometimes, but God knows your every moment and has tailored sufficient Grace for each one. Take it one moment at a time.

Before we brought our girls into the family it was just three boys, who when they were small seemed more like a football team. I know how hard it can be with no breaks. I’m praying you can find a way to experience some calm in your day so you can hear your Savior’s voice telling you how PROUD He is of you. He sees every little act of service you do and says “thank you” for doing it for Him.

12. Trish says

I am crying tears of Joy this morning. I experienced 16 years of abuse as a child. My brain is hard wired all wrong. I am struggling with trying to relearn how to think and how to react. At 57 it is a difficult task. I know God has plans for me. I am attempting to discover that plan and live the happy healthy life He wants for me. I am Blessed with loved ones who love me and support me. I read your emails every morning and this morning you touched me personally. Pray for all of us who have suffered untold horrors, we are the survivors. God gave me the ability to raise my own child with love, he is a wonderful husband and father, so I know what God can do. Thank you for being here for me.

Trish – Thank you for this note. We have entered into a portion of our daughter’s pain for the 8 years of suffering she had. We don’t know all of it, nor does she yet. But we are seeing God’s healing touch. I’m praying for God to heal your heart and mind completely and for you to be free from the lies that are hard-wired into your thoughts.

You are a beloved, cleansed, beautiful child of God … chosen because of exactly who you are. Not because of anything you can do for Him. Simply because He loves you.

13. Amy says

Thank you for sharing your heart with us. Your words, your struggles, your surrender to Him, all inspire and encourage me. Please pray for my heart, my mind, my focus to be HIM. Difficulties in a new endeavor discourage and depress me, and I am finding it hard to persevere. Thank you!

Amy – I am praying. God longs to draw you into His arms … may you experience His love in a fresh way.

14. Shanamarie Harville says

Thank you so much for sharing your struggle as it is exactly what I needed to read this morning. Your prayer will become my prayer. We are attempting to adopt four beautiful children but this is encased in fighting for them through the judicial system. Additionally the children have known neglect and abuse and carry deep scars which present themselves on a daily basis. Difficulty is part of our daily lives but I now have a new prayer to whisper :) praise The Lord for the hope you have offered!!

15. Patty Flanigan says

Your story was soo inspiring gave me hope in my situation please pray for my family especially my son Kyle my heart is soo heavy Thank you so much

16. Kristin F says

Thank you Glynnis for sharing such inspiration through your gift of writing. I need a daily reminder to always look to God for His strength as I go through my day. It makes me smile to read about your left-brained tendency. I’m wired that way as well (my husband and I are both engineers). I can really relate to how difficult and yet vital it is for those of us who are good at staying organized and keeping all the balls in the air (so we think) to remember to invite God into our moment by moment activities and decisions, and call on His strength and love to lead us. Praying for your daughters and family as you walk through their struggles with them each day.

17. Lesa says

Glynis, Thank you for sharing from your heart about your family. I have a child with autism and working daily on a state level helping famiies with children with special needs so I know many of the challenges you face. I will lift your family up in prayer today as I DO understand those unspoken concerns. If you could lift up our family as we are discouraged and need God to show Himself mightily on our behalf. Spritual,physical and financial needs press heavily upon us. We have continued to work to be faithful but it is so hard after so long. Thank you for your prayers and I will add mine to yours for your beautiful family to be encouraged, wisdom imparted and God’s grace poured upon you all.

18. Alissa says

Thank you for sharing your story. I have a difficult child and sometimes I feel overwhelmed.i appreciate your prayers. God bless.

19. Rachel Pratt says

Glynnis, I am new to your blog, but I have to say that I think God lead me to you. This post is one thing that I am currently struggling with right now. I am a full time mom and a full time worker-I work from home so that helps a little. I have family obligations, extended family obligations, the need for me time, marriage time and family time. I have 3 children. One of which is 3 months old and still nursing. I am being treated for post partum depression (I had a still born child 5 years ago and that compounds it). I am struggling to manage everything and get through these challenges. Please pray for all of this for me. I would so appreciate it. I will keep you and my family in your prayers as well. Thank you. I needed to hear this today. Your Sister In Christ-Rachel

Thank you for sharing part of your story. Mine is not so intense…I just feel overwhelmed with motherhood a lot of the time. Three wonderful girls, ages 8, 6 and 21 months. It’s much harder than I thought it would be. And I’m not as good as I’d hoped and planned to be.

I will pray for your family.

21. Lisa Lyle says

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I will pray for you and your beautiful family. You’re untangling a lifetime of war and pain in those little girls that go beyond their bodies. You’re sowing the seeds for a new life, a new hope–not to mention eternity. Stay strong, Glynnis. The Lord is with you. (Deut 31:6)

22. Jenny says

God bless you Glynnis, and thank you for sharing from your heart. It’s so good to be reminded that God’s love and strength are enough for all of us. My life seems to be in a constant state of flux and chaos lately, leaving me incredibly stressed out. My dad has Alzheimer’s and needs coronary bypass surgery, but can’t due to fragile arteries. My mom has chronic pain from degenerative arthritis and is clinically depressed. My son is currently in court-ordered rehab (doing well, thank you God!!) after being diagnosed with bipolar disorder. My baby girl (she’s 23 :) ) is currently deployed to Afghanistan for 9 months, which scares me to death. I can’t handle it – so I have to let God. Much love to all and I will be praying for you all.

23. Mandi says

Thank you for sharing. I’m so exhausted. I’m a single mom of 2 boys, 7 & 9. I work full time and love my job. With family obligations every weekend and no down time for the last 2 months, I’m just wiped. I don’t know how to keep going and a vacation isn’t an option. I do pray every day and somehow by Gods grace I get through it. I just started dating again for the first time in a long time and he is really wonderful but I’m just not sure I can handle having one more person in my life I have to be there for. I don’t want to be alone but I’m so overwhelmed with responsibility.

24. Iesha says

Glynnis:

This is a day late, but I thank God that I was able to read this devotion about Strength in God. I love when you said “And I don’t get a recording when I call for help.” This is so true. I thank God for being there 24/7. He is there when I need Him. More and more I am realizing that I CAN’T do this life without God!! He gives me strength from day to day and lately from moment to moment as my schedule just seems to keep growing even with summer school this semester.

I thank you for your vulunerability in sharing part of your story and I pray one day, that if God puts in on heart, that you will be able to share more.

Oh yes, I can’t seem to find this scripture, I will have to find the reference, but something that keeps me going is the scripture that I will loosely quote, but “in my weakness He is made strong.” That helps me to know that when I am weak and the weaker I get, God is strong and getting stronger. I also love the saying where you telling God that you can’t do this and you need Him to help you. I realize that going through life, like many things, is a process. This is certainly true for me, as I enter a new phase in my life.

Anyway, thank you once again, may God bless and keep you and your family.

25. Nancy says

I am having a huge struggle with my husband right now. I’m not sure how to ask for prayer, but we have 3 kids and one on the way. Pregnancy, and existing baggage that I can’t share on an open blog, has caused me to harden my heart towards him. I don’t even have a desire to heal. Please pray that God will give me that desire. Thank you for your offer to pray, and your willingness to be used by God. Be blessed

• Judy says

Nancy: As I read your post I feel the need to give you something to think about. My parents divorced when I was 13 and there are things in my live 40 years later that are affected by the decision my parents made and that I had no part in. It has made me stronger in some area but it provides challenges in others. Please try hard to work out your differences and if you decide that is not possbile please make sure your children talk with a good counselor to help them to work though some of their feelings and to help them understand. Please continue to ask for God’s help.

My children are grown and I work hard everyday on my marriage. Marriage is a journey that is not easy and takes alot of work.

26. Adrienne says

Glynnis your story answered my prayers. I recently started back working full time (this is week two) after working only part time. My husband and I have two boys (6 and almost 5), and I’ve asked God “how am I supposed to do this? How am I supposed to cook, clean, grocery shop, etc?” I know I HAVE to get organized more. Please pry for me that my roles as wife, mother and now director of college placement have their priorities set and in order.

27. Kathleen says

“I don’t have it in me to do this one more day, I need Your strength.
    I don’t have the patience in me for this … I need Your patience.
    I can’t think straight right now … I need Your clarity.
    I’m not even sure I have love in me right now … I need Your love.
    And every day I get my portion for that day. I get just enough strength to get through today. Just enough patience. Just enough clarity. And a new definition of love that’s stronger and tougher and more determined than I have ever experienced.”

These words could have been written by me. Thank you so much. Difficult marriage, difficult children, vacation :). We also adopted two children and it was also a daily struggle. They are adults now but there are still issues that make life challenging. We also had three biological children (younger than our adopted children), two of whom we lost in a car accident. My greatest struggle is believing God loves me and accepts me when those closest to me do not. I am also finding it difficult to tap into God’s power and am reacting out of my flesh more these days. Like Nancy in the above post, I, too, sometimes do not even have the desire to heal and do right, but, praise God, He faithfully calls me back time after time.While doing a Bible study the Lord gave me some healing verses so I have written them on index cards and plan to review them frequently and every time I am attacked by these plaguing thoughts. They are prayer reminders as well.

I so enjoy your blog when I have time to read it. Thank you so much.

28. Jamie says

Please pray for me…. I am in the midst of an ugly divorce after an 18 year marriage. We have 3 children who are having a hard time with this. As my husband attacks me and attempts to destroy me, I have prayed for him and made efforts to not be angry. The more I do that, the harder satan pushes. please pray for us all in this trial.

• kelli says

Jaime,
      I just lifted you and your husband up to our Great God. Please pray about your decision. I am on the other side, and can only tell you to please, please, for you, your children, and your husband, pray today and EVERY DAY for your husband. Pray that God softens his heart. It is so hard, you simply have to put all of your wants and needs aside. It is so difficult. I have no clue what your situation is, but I can tell you divorce always, always has consequences. Satan wants to devour like a lion and he will not stop with the divorce. Trust me, I am NOT judging you at all. I am simply begging you, as a Sister in Christ, to stop today for just a minute and breath. Ask God to direct you in your decisions. Remember, you DON”T have to sign anything!

29. Fran says

This is exactly what I needed to hear today. Please pray that I will lean on God to help me take better care of myself by eating healthy foods and exercising. This is a tough area for me these days, and I know I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Thank you for your prayers.

Thank you for this timely devotion and for sharing your heart. Ome.ur situations are different, but I could still relate. I have a chronic illness that leaves me exhausted and in pain a lot of the time. Today is an especially difficult day. I don’t have a very supportive husband and have two teenagers. I tend to panic on how I’m going to get everything done. I really liked the part about telling God you don’t have it in you to get through one more day and you need his strenghth. I’m going to do that today.

31. Jeanie says

Most every adoptive parent needs to know that most every other adoptive parent goes through this. I really don’t know how non-Christian parents do it?! If we didn’t have God with us these past 4 years, I really don’t know what would have happened or where we’d be.
    Almost every single day is a struggle when you adopt, especially a sibling group. Struggles are multiplied (and I swear they discuss it in their sleep who’s gonna be the one to act up on a certain day or at a certain time. LOL) Many days I have come to the end of my strength. I used to never pray for patience, until someone reminded that patience is a fruit of the Spirit! So I pray for patience every day! I need my portion every day to get through the day. I pray for strength every day! I pray for wisdom every day! Because without any of those God given abilities, I cannot do it on my own. I have tried it, and I didn’t do so well!
    We were not a parents until we adopted our children, so we went from zero to a hundred in no time flat! Our kids came with disabilities, baggage, behavior issues, neglect, attention deficit, oppositional difiance and much more than we ever was prepared for. So when you do post about your struggles of adopting, we that have adopted need to hear about it too. We don’t need to know the details, as adoptive parents we just need to know that we’re not alone in our struggles. Sometimes out here its hard to find Christian support groups that understand. They all want you to do it the world’s way…not God’s way. And sometimes your mind just gets so bombarded with chatter that its hard to filter it all. Which is where I’m at right now.
    Our family could really use your prayers! Thanks for listening!

Hi Jeanie – I read this the day you posted it but I’m just now able to reply after a big conference at P31. May God bless you for opening your heart and home to children in need. It’s a hard but high calling.

32. Kenner says

God has given exactly what I needed to hear once again! My husband of 26 years has walked away from us. After always being a SAHM, I will need to re-enter the workforce with no degree or “work experience” (according to the world!). I am learning that God is the only one that will never disappoint me. He is giving me the perfect amount of His strength moment by moment. Sometimes the pain is so unbearable, but when I cry out to Jesus, He is ALWAYS there. Thank you for the reminder that we have a protector.

Kenner – I’m sorry I’m just now replying but I wanted you to know I have prayed for you. And my heart breaks for what you are going through. May God step in to meet those deep needs in your heart that you can’t even speak.

33. Denise says

I’d be honored to pray for your family and would covet your prayers for mine as we are in a transitional season as our children grow and boundaries stretch. My heart is so fearful but I learn that He is enough to get through each and every day.

Denise – I’m sorry I’m just now replying but I wanted you to know that I saw your prayer request and I am praying for God’s wisdom for you, and for peace that He is able to protect your children where you are not.

34. Kim says

Thank you so much for opening up and sharing with us. I am going through a trial in my home with my own child and I’m having the same feelings but I couldn’t put them in words. Its very private and so there isnt too many people I can share it with. I needed this: Every day I turn to God and tell Him … I don’t have it in me to do this one more day, I need Your strength.
    I don’t have the patience in me for this … I need Your patience.
    I can’t think straight right now … I need Your clarity.
    I’m not even sure I have love in me right now … I need Your love.
    God’s strength is enough. But I had to get to the end of mine to learn that.
    Thank you again and I will pray for your family too!

So resonant of my heart. I too was just on the verge of a post on this very topic. I get asked quite often, how do I do it. How can you, except the Holy Spirit, and His strength? Thank you for listening to his voice, writing this- so many woman need this encouragement.

36. Susan says

Thank you for your insights. One thing I have learned during the past few years that many women are carrying heavy burdens and often silently and alone. In the past two years I have had to take on the care of my elderly mother with little help from siblings and my son decided to marry suddenly and has turned against his family. A step grandparent has also been very destructive in this situation. It has been very difficult to carry these burdens since you can’t really trust others or want to share with them.

Susan, I’m sorry I’m just now responding but I wanted you to know that I saw this and have prayed for God to encourage you in your weak moments. He sees you and knows all the burdens you carry and He longs to lift the weight from your shoulders.

37. Allie says

Please pray for a financial situation for our family. And for my 8 year old daughter to take a leap of faith and let go of her fear and God would give her peace.

38. Michelle Moore says

Thank you so much for sharing and reminding me of what to ask for and how to ask for God’s help. My home is full of chaos right now and thinking clear enough to even pray is hard sometimes. I have five sons and my husband is newly sober again. I needed to be reminded of God’s strength and that it’s with in me if I ask. He is such an amazing God!! Please keep my family in your prayers. We are going through a few different difficult things right now but nothing The Lord can’t help us through. Have a Blessed day!
    Sincerely Michelle

39. Bonnelle says

4 years ago I left my job to return to school to become a Physical Therapist Assistant because I felt like it was something God wanted me to do. It was a true step of faith with many challenges along the way. I’m 47 years old… not in my 20′s as most of my classmates. What was He thinking? What was I thinking? Daily I have to ask God for strength & wisdom because I really don’t know what I’m doing (at least that’s how it feels). I took my licensing exam last week & not sure I passed so… I’m continuing to ask for strength & wisdom because there’s no way I can pass it without HIM.

While our struggles may not be the same… we still find ourselves needing to rely on God’s strength, grace, wisdom & Presence to guide us through each & every hour of each & every day. May God bless you for adopting these girls & making every attempt to show them His unconditional love & grace. Your efforts WILL make a difference in their lives.

Blessings!

• Barbara says

Bonnelle,
      I, too, returned to school at age 47. My situation was different, but my God wasn’t. I graduated in 2001 with an Associate degree in Nursing and then got my BSN online in 2011. I am now 62 years old, and will have to work for many more years. I know school wasn’t easy, but you did it! I will pray for a passing grade on your exam, as well as strength and peace as you begin your new career. This is truly an exciting time for you. God go with you!
      Barbara

40. Mary Lou says

Thank you for sharing and for being real. My 16 year old daughter has had numerous health issues in the last 6 months. They seem disjointed and unrelated, but she continues to have problems. She looks healthy and feels fine most of the time, but these episodes come on her quickly. We are going to see a cardiologist today. Please pray for my daughter, and I will lift you and your family in prayer. Thank you for reminding me today that God’s strength is enough.

• Mary Lou says

Praise God! The cardiologist found nothing wrong with my daughter’s heart. He cleared her to play sports (a real love of hers), and she celebrated by heading off to basketball practice last night.

Hi Mary Lou – I’m sorry I’m just now responding, but I wanted you to know that I have prayed for your daughter and am now rejoicing with you.

41. Pam says

I have a mountain of paper and clutter that I need patience and clarity to deal with. I want to park my car in my garage. Thank you so much for what you said in your devotional. It will help me keep my eyes on Him and ask for what I need as I work.

42. Debbie K. says

Glynnis, thank you for opening your heart and sharing what God is doing in your life in the hard and desperate places. I, like you, have always been organized and able to work through and figure things out pretty easily. Then we went through years of infertility, we adopted, then started having miscarriages, then adopted again, but this time our daughter had a muscle disease we weren’t aware of at birth. Over the next year it was a battle to keep her alive with feeding tubes, suction, breathing treatments. It was harder than anything I had ever faced, but was also a time I felt God so near I could almost touch him. After we lost our daughter, Grace, we adopted another baby girl, Hope. Nine months later I got pregnant and had our son, Carson. At two Carson was diagnosed with autism. At the same time my teenage son started going through in incredibly hard time. Our house was chaos times two. For the next four years it felt like a war zone in our house. There were days I felt like God was a tree I was hanging on to for dear life while a hurricane blew around me. At 18 my oldest son was diagnosed with Bi-polar II and began his road to a more stable place. He still has issues, but they are manageable. He no longer lives with us, Carson is in a wonderful place right now and brings us joy daily, and our daughter is turning into a beautiful young lady.

I have to admit, though, that there are days when fear rises and I’m afraid God will take us back through another hard journey. While my heart wants to be obedient and always say Yes to God, I am hesitant at times to quickly say “Do as you will, Lord.” My battle these days is to fully trust God for whatever comes; to allow Him to work in my heart and heal the scars from the battles I’ve walked through, and to be ready and willing to move forward obediently when He calls.

Hi Debbie – thank you for sharing this with me. I understand your analogy of holding on to Jesus while a hurricane blows. I’ve felt that way too. Carrying for children in need is a demanding responsibility, I’m praising God for His work in your family’s life.

43. Jackie S. says

Glynnis, you always inspire me so much! Thanks for sharing your life and thanks for offering to pray for me!
    I desire prayers for my and dh health issues…..and also for needs of daughter and grandson (God knows what they are).
    Thanks and blessings on you, your family and ministry….am praying for you.

44. Yvonne B. says

Blessings to you dear Glynnis. What an incredible gift of life and faith that you have given your two daughters. I will hold you and all your family in prayer. God chose the right family for these two precious daughters of His. With love and admiration, Yvonne

45. Beth says

Thank you for these important reminders. I grew up with an alcoholic father (who is now sober – praise God). For many, many years I tried to control my life. I am unequally yoked and my husband is an alcoholic. We have 2 wonderful sons who attended church with me faithfully all of their lives. They rarely attend now and my oldest son is battling alcoholism. My heart is breaking. I, too, reached my end – the end of my own ability. My strength was no longer enough. It took my son’s trouble with the law for me to finally realize I need to learn what it truly means to trust God. Through this unfortunate situation God is changing me. I have learned humility and not to judge others. I praise Him for the work that I know He is doing through our troubles. I am believing He will return my boys from the land of their captivity and restore to me all the years the locusts have eaten. I would love your prayers, Glynnis. I’m so thankful God is using you to encourage me.

Hi Beth – God is faithful … what you poured into your sons will return. This is a promise from Scripture when we speak God’s Word:

Isaiah 55:11, “so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
      It will not return to me empty,
      but will accomplish what I desire
      and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”

46. Judy says

Thanks for sharing your heart and getting to the “heart” of the matter. My husband and I have been married for 5 years. We are both above 40 and wanted to have children so we prayed and felt God leading us toward adoption. We have 2 girls who are half sisters that are now ages 10 & 12. Although are struggles are not to the extent that you have in your famiy; there are struggles. I think a lot of them have to do with my expectations and what I thought I would be like as a mother and what I thought they would be like as my children. I pray that God will continue to humble me and bring our family closer together. Thanks for your prayers and I will be praying for your family as well. Blessings to you all!

Hi Judy – I’ve learned that love can look very different from what we think it will – and family does too. May God give you peace as you accept His plan for your family.

47. Janice says

Thank you for your devotional today. I really needed that reminder. Please pray for my adult son who has gone through divorce that he didn’t want and depression. He needs to find a job and get closer to God. Please pray for my husband and our financial situation.
    Thank you for your encouragement today…

48. Dori says

Great devotion today! I would ask for prayers for my family – my husband & I and my 16 yr old son. We are still in the “honeymoon” phase of our marriage, my 3rd, his 2nd, and coming upon 1 year of marriage. The first 7 months we lived in separate houses, because we each owned a house and were looking for one to buy together. Now that we are living together, we are still adjusting, and it is hard. Especially when we both are stubborn about adjustments. Thank you! God Bless!

49. Tami says

I have always been the glue that holds my family together. God has wired me to be strong & courageous through a difficult marriage & raising three children. God has placed beautiful friends in my life that helped me stay on His path & not my own. After 38 years our marriage is stronger & sweeter than ever. Praise God. He has blessed us with 7 grandchildren. Thank you, Lord. But yesterday I found out that my husband has bone cancer…. No warning, no health issues, just a pain in his hip. I know I don’t have the strength & wisdom to guide our family through this…. Thank you got your prayers.

Tami – I’m sorry I’m just now responding, but I wanted you to know that I have prayed for your husband. May God lead you to the right doctors and treatment plan and give you wisdom and discernment beyond human understand. I’m also praying for complete healing!!!

50. TABITHA JONES says

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It is very inspiring to me. I have 2 wonderful boys(18 & 16). I was thinking as I was reading your story, I am not the only one that faces challenges in my life. Sometimes when we are struggling in life we seem to think poor oh me but I have this thing I always think. I say I know I am struggling but there is always someone in worse condition that I and it has helped me. I admire you for adopting these percious children. I raised my niece and nephew for about 3 years when my boys were younger and you don’t realize the family issues that come about when you bring other children in the home until they get settled in. It can be very stressful on the whole family. Blessings to you and your family,
    Tabitha

51. Diane says

I love to read your blog. You are an inspiration. We have an 8 year old grandson with cognitive problems. We prayed and prayed for ways to help him and found a place called LearningRX, whose mission is to help people with cognitive difficulties. They were an answer to our prayers and helped our grandson tremendously! They have centers scattered across the country. I don’t know where you live, but thought you may like to check out their website to see what their programs can do to help. Their website address is http://www.learningrx.com. God bless!

52. LaurMKK says

Thank you for your words. I don’t read everyday, however today’s where exactly what I needed to get started in yet another day. Also, I heard a soft little voice telling me….you need prayer. I have a list of happenings over the months that has hit my extremely blessed family. However, I am just so tired of dealing with yet another bad thing in my life, and I am just not feeling God with me at all. And their is the rubb…..’I want’. I know I have to quit putting my strength first and rely on Gods, however I am so impatient in his timing, and I am scared. Anyway, this makes me very uncomfortabl, and I just want to delete this, so I will sign off and say thank you. Sorry it is less than eloquent, yet again thank you! Peace, Laur

Hi Laur – Thank you for reading my blog when you have time. It’s my prayer that the sharing of the hard spots in my life – and how God has met me there – might bring others some encouragement.

It sounds like you are worn down and need spiritual and emotional rest. I’m praying God cradles you in His arms as a loving father would, and allows you to experience Him and His love in a new way.

53. Janet D. says

Glynnis, thank you so much for sharing this devotion. There are days I just don’t think I can keep it together. I have a husband that has traveled for the last 13 years and is out of town for weeks (sometimes months) at a time. Most people would think this was no an issue, however, it does take its toll on a marriage. Hopefully he will be retiring soon but that will bring along financial struggles. Plus our daughter, age 24, has a son age 2 that is living with us. I love this little fellow with my entire being but I was hoping to be a “Mawmaw” instead of someone that has to dole out discipline on a daily basis!! We’ve had some emotional ups and downs with my daughter and she just can’t seem to get her act together. I feel bitter at times because at this stage of my life I wanted life to be settling down for our “golden years”, when in fact, it’s harder than ever.
    Please remember my family in prayer that he will give me the strength and encouragement for “one more day”. I will also add you to my daily prayer list for God’s blessings on you and your family.

Hi Janet – May God give you the strength and love you need to walk out each day. May He fill your heart with joy in the midst of the demands on your time and energy. I’ll be praying.

54. Mandy says

Glynnis, I continue to be encouraged and inspired by your devotionals and posts. Although I have been at the end of myself many times in the past (and I know there will be more to come), at this point in time I am not facing any major challenges. I know the prayers of my faithful mother and godly friends have helped me through hard times. So as you have been a blessing to me and so many others, I wanted to let you know that I will be praying for you and your dear family this week.

55. Donna says

God knows what my need is and I really need prayers for all the chaos in my life right now, even though they seem small compared to others needs but they are huge in my life right now!

Donna – No need is too small for our Father to care about. May He meet you exactly where you are with hope and help.

56. Karen R says

Glyniss,

Thank you for this very timely reminder. My life has recently been such a struggle that I feel as if I am drowning. That really is nothing new for me except that I was hoping that at this stage in my life I was finally all past that. I have been divorced for 25 years and survived that time by leaning heavily on Jesus. My 3 children are all grown (and all are engaged to be married within the next 9 months). Please pray for my youngest daughter. She has chosen a man who, I believe, will make her path through life very difficult. Please pray for strength and wisdom for her, and for me as well as I learn to accept her decision and support her no matter how I feel about her decisions.

I will pray for your family as well. Glyniss, I am so grateful to you. 31 years ago I surrendered my oldest son for adoption (that means I really have 4 children). Families who adopt are special blessings to those of us who, for whatever reason, are unable to raise our children on our own. I never even got to hold my son but miss him every day. I know that God picked out the perfect family for him, just as He picked out the perfect family for your 2 girls. I know you treasure them.

Hi Karen – I’m sorry I’m just replying now, but I wanted you to know that I have seen this and have prayed for you. I’m asking God to reveal Himself to you in a new way as you face all the things you are facing in the coming months. May you hear His voice whispering words of love and encouragement exactly when you need to hear them.

57. Joni says

We have also adopted and it included a child with special needs. He had two pages of issues due to fetal alcohol syndrome issues. He is now 21 years old and I can truthfully tell you that where he is now is not where he was in his middle school or even elementary age years. God continues to be faithful and good. One of the issues I believe you may be facing is one I speak of with other adoptive families. That is the issue of grief. What we thought would be is not. What we thought would happen based on our own abilities does not occur. However, God can take beauty out of ashes. He continues to be the one to turn to when that grief and anger and frustration can be too much. Does not despair as He sees the path and knows the future. You can do this! Although our son also has cognitive and former behavioral issues, he is SLOWLY making his way through college. Who would have thought? Who could have guessed how this might happen? Only God knows. You are planting the seeds of the kingdom here……
    I am praying for your family….
    Joni

58. Cindi says

Thank you for writing this. It is something I desperately needed to hear today. You are such a blessing to me by your writings. I need your prayers right now. I have 3 children, a son with autism (more on the moderate to severe end), a son with ADHD, and a 5 year old daughter. It is a stress that is hard to explain, but like you, I have learned so much more from our situation than I ever could have without all the disabilities. But, I need your prayers. I feel overwhelmed most of the time. I love reading your blog and your devotions from Proverbs 31 Ministries, but now I feel a kinship with you. This blog post has helped me today so much! But please pray for me, and I will pray for you and your family. May The Lord Jesus bless you!

Hi Cindi – I’m sorry I’m just now writing, but I wanted you to know that I have seen your comment and have prayed for you. I understand the unrelenting demands that come with children who have special needs. And we need someone who understands. Thank you for leaving a comment so we could connect.

59. Maggie says

Thank you for sharing with us. I know it is not easy to do, as I am also going through some struggles with my family and I’m wondering how much more I can take. I know the Lord is in control and I’m definitely on my knees about it, but some days I wonder how much more I can take. I will be remembering you and your family in prayer and ask that you do the same for my family. Bod Bless you.

Hi Maggie, thank you for posting a comment. I have learned a lot about getting through challenges one day (sometimes one hour) at a time. God is in these hard moments and is refining and strengthening us if we let Him. This is how we wake up every day and do it again. Some women quit; but we have a power that is greater than anything in this world. May you experience that power anew!!!

60. Mindy says

I feel really disheartened this morning almost as if i am not sure how to go on. God has richly blessed my life provided for all my needs and yet poor decision making continues to plague my life with consequences that are difficult to bear. I do not blame god he does not control the choices I make I know god has com

Hi Mindy – I’m sorry I’m just now replying. But I wanted you to know that I have seen this and am praying for you. I’m asking God to fill your mind with His thoughts and to raise you up as a wise women. Today is a new day, dear sister. Our God has an endless supply of strength for you.

61. Jennifer Gelert says

Thank you so much! I needed this today. I have so much weighing on my mind. Too many to detail, but the most pressing one. My mom lives in Ohio and we live in CA. She has had many health issues and is in a bad living condition. We are trying to find out what we can do. This encouraged me a lot to trust in you

Jennifer – I’m sorry this is late, but I wanted you to know that I have read your prayer request and am lifting it up to our Father. I’m asking Him to send people (and angels) to help your mother until you can figure something out. And to bring you peace and you experience God’s faithfulness anew.

62. Teresa says

Thank you so much, Glynnis, for being obedient to our Lord by posting this today. What a blessing it is for me!! I will pray for you and thank you for offering to pray for me. I, too, feel like one of the others who posted today that it is not easy to lean on the Lord in my time of difficulty when my family does not love me. The hate from my brothers is overwhelming. I don’t know how you will have time to take care of your precious children when it looks like you will be praying ALL day for our hurting spirits! Thank you and God bless you and I pray your children will be filled with God’s love.

Hi Teresa – My heart breaks at your family situation with your brothers. I’m asking God to mend the brokeness and to bring you people who will love you. I’m sorry I’m posting this late, but I wanted you to know that I saw this and am praying.

63. Nnenna Agu says

Dear Glynnis,

I am so grateful for today’s blog. I recently lost my Dad and I am in the midst of funeral arrangements. It has been so overwhelming! I have never had to go through this before and it is quite humbling to allow God hold me when I feel like I am going to go under with the amount of pressure that I face daily. The expectations that people have of me, the expectations I have of myself to be everything that I am meant to be, simply melts away when I wake up daily each morning asking for fresh grace to handle all that I can for today and put stuff for my tomorrow in a diary. Committing everything to God daily is like a balm. Not screaming at any body else but being calm and understanding under this pressure is not my natural response but God has been faithful.

I would still appreciate it if you could pray for me, because even though I might have it under control right now, I know that the financial responsibilities that I bear are quite much. (Funerals in Nigeria are a lot like flamboyant weddings, so the cost is better imagined). My family needs to be united even more during this period and we could do with the prayers of a christian community.

Nnenna

Dear Nnenna – I’m sorry I didn’t reply earlier but I wanted you to know that I am praying for God’s strength to fill you with grace and dignity in this difficult time. My heart goes out to you at your loss.

64. Barbara says

I have stage 4 cancer and my 24 year old daughter needs recovery from addiction.
    Please pray that I have all my God given strength to do the necessary intervention with my precious girl. Pray that I accept what I cannot control. Pray that I accept that Gods timing is perfect.

Thank you and God Bless, your story really brought truth into the chaos I feel right now.

Barb

Dear Barb – I’m sorry I’m just now responding, but I am praying for you today. May God meet your every need and fill you with His peace and joy. Thank you for allowing me to pray for you and your daughter.

65. Carolynj says

words dont seem to be enough to convey how blessed you are to have gone through all you have gone through .and through your words you share how we are week but find strength in our Lord and what a responsibility he has put on you .God Bless you with his unending love and strength.
    Please pray for that strength for my Vietnam veteran husband who suffers from PTSD and right now there are many stressors in his(our) life that prey on our strength. Thank You The Lord be with you and yours

Dear sister, thank you for allowing me to pray for you. May God heal the wounded parts of your husband’s mind and body. May your husband experience healing sleep and emotional rest. And may He know the joy of His Savior!

66. Phyllis says

I thank you so much for sharing . I can so relate…I’m currently in the middle of emptying my parents house after my dad’s death and having moved my mother across country to be closer to family. So, after 55years of marriage, having raised five children, 6 grandchildren, traveled all over the world in the Air Force, and the last 35+ years of active involvement in their church and community it is overwhelming to say the least. I can’t see where most days where I’ve made progress, but your word has encouraged me and reminded me to turn to God for all that I lack.

67. Caroline says

When I read your words, “I don’t know if I can do this one more day…I can’t even think straight right now” I instantly borrowed them. Thank you for the gift of those words! I am desperate for His direction, wisdom and peace as I face the harsh reality of the end of my abusive marriage, and the painful process of divorce. Blessed just knowing you will pray.

68. Lisa H. says

Hi, Glynnis!

I so appreciated the vulnerability of this post. Our family has also adopted children internationally and so I have some understanding of the kinds of struggles you might be facing. With these children, at times the issues are so deep and complicated that it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and helpless as a parent. And sometimes I miss the order and peace of “the old days.” I miss feeling like a “successful parent.” (We also have older bio. kids.) But I ADORE my children and feel so blessed that Jesus gave me the privilege of being their mama. It’s helpful to hear that even someone who publically “has it together” still struggles with the challenges of raising children from hard places. It would be helpful to hear things you’ve found from an organizational/home management point of view that have helped keep your home peaceful or meet your adopted daughters needs. Blessings to you!

69. Kate Mills says

Thanks for sharing! I will be praying for you and your family. I believe we are all called to help all of God’s children, and love you for hearing the call and claiming it as your own! I keep thinking we should bring a child to our blessed home, but as I now sit in a hospital room with an elderly cousin that needs my care (and is four hours away from my home) I realize why I haven’t felt the nudge to go forward with adoption. Perhaps in the future, but meanwhile I’ll be praying for you and your girls!

70. lisa says

I could use a prayer and would also love to pray for you too! I know God is good – all the time – even when everything seems to be going wrong.

71. Bonnie says

Thank you so much for sharing your life. I’ve read a lot of the messages on this page and it makes me know that I am not the only one going through hard times, even though I have walked with the Lord for over 30yrs. Health problems are plaguing me right now. After losing my house in Hurricane Sandy, then my father dying a month after and loss of my job (then getting it back again after 5mos), I have just about enough strength to finish this reply. Doctor thinks its a ‘viral syndrome’. I’m not sure what it is. I just know I can’t work or be the strength my family needs. So the Lord is the only one who can pull us all through. I know that has always been the ‘bottom line’ where my faith is concerned. He always has and always will be.
    I’ll be prayin’ for all my sisters here as well as you, Glynn.

72. Kathy says

From the number of comments left today, I see that I am not the only one this post has touched. Thank you so much for your service to us in God’s name. Your devotions and posts, more often than not, find me just when I need them the most.
    I find myself in unfamiliar territory at the moment. My husband’s (57 years old) health has taken a dramatic turn for the worse in the last 2 1/2 months and I find myself in the role of full-time caregiver as he is now on oxygen and can do very little for himself. He is being tested to see if he is eligible to be placed on a lung transplant list.
    I appreciate you offering to pray for our situation, and obviously, I would love prayers for strength and stamina for him to make it through all of the testing, and that the results would be favorable to placing him on the list.
    But more than that, I would treasure prayers for me. I know all the things in your post to be true and God’s strength IS enough. So why do I keep acting like a toddler by trying to “do it myself”? If you could pray that I would just remember that His strength and power are there for the asking…but that “asking” is the key. Please pray that I will remember to have Him be the first place I go when I need love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. :-)
    Thanks again, Glynnis, for sharing your thoughts with us. It is a gift that I am saying thank-you for today. God bless.

73. Jennifer says

I have three adopted siblings from Haiti the boys almost 13 and their sister 11 with an older biological son who is 19. Your story is so similar to mine about having to lean in on God’s strength to get through the tough times and finding love and forgiveness each and every time. When people ask me about adoption I tell them it is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life but I would never change it – God called me to adopt my children and He knows through Him I can help them heal and love so I tell myself that God knows I can do this so I must be able to -He provides the strength insight and love when I feel I have little left. Thank you for your timely blog and I know that God will continue to bless you through the trials and the pieces of joy in the midst of it all

74. Jill Price says

Please pray for me to be diligent in paying off all my debt. Help me to identify myself as child of God and to turn away from the world.

Please pray for my little boy. The start of the school year is always very hard for him.

Thank you!

In Him!!

75. Carissa D. Huffman says

Glynnis–

Thank you, again and again, for all the blessings your words have given me. Your book has taught this born unorganized gal some tricks and tips and the right mindset to know I will get caught up someday.

You prayed for me last year when my pregnancy terminated via miscarriage. Thank you for that.

I am still praying for a miracle to add to our family. We may have a possible way to start the adoption process next year after tax refund arrives–we just do not have a lot of money to spend on the process. I am leaving all options open and trusting that He will be glorified no matter what.

My 4-year-old prays for his baby sister every night–he believes unwaveringly that this will happen (my son has taught me a lot about having faith). I would LOVE to see him receive this blessing, and have his faith rewarded.

Each month, I hope this will be the one, but at 44 years old and not perfect weight, etc., it seems the odds are stacked against me. We cannot responsibly afford to do hefty fertility treatments. Thank you for your prayers for our family. I will pray for yours, too–it’s the least I can do.

Many blessings
    Carissa in eastern Iowa

76. Blanche says

Glynnis We are praying for you. I know what you are going through as we are also. Our daughter adopted several children and through it all our family has been torn apart. I keep praying for a miracle as I see no other way this can all be put back together. May the Lord bless you. Blanche

77. Lisa H. says

Your message really touched me as I read it with tears welling up in my eyes. I feel guilty so many times for feeling as I do when I see so many others going through so many trying times and I know I have so much to be thankful for. The past five years have brought much turmoil and change into our lives. It seems like we just keep getting hit with one blow after another and at times I feel so guilty for questioning where God is in all of this. 5 years ago I had major emergency surgery and almost died, it has been many ongoing health issues since then and we have lost our home to foreclosure. As I sit here writing this my husband is recovering from a head and neck injury that he had to be flown by lifeflight helicopter to a nearby trauma center for just a few days ago. We are blessed that he is recovering and it could have been much worse but at times I just wish I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know that God is always faithful but at times I don’t feel that my faith is very strong.
    Thank you so much for praying for all who responded and I will be praying for you and your family. Many blessings to you!

78. Lauren says

I really need some prayers. I am struggling just to get through each day. I have let my addictions take over, and while my faith is very strong and I talk to God daily, I feel like I am just getting by. We are in financial ruin, I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder last November after I attempted to end my life. I need to get a job, but I can’t even take care of my house these days. I have become womewhat of a Hermit – I never want to leave my home.
    Any prayers would be greatly appreciated.

Blessings on your home
    Lauren

79. Rosemarie says

God’s timing could not be more perfect – It has left me in AWE to glean from. I certainly could use some prayers in dealing with the many pressures in being a 5 year old Christian. One my husband is a non-believer and the pressure within my church body of him being saved is most difficult to deal with. Two the pressures in dealing and caring daily for a sister who is mentally challenged leaves me emotionally drained and patience is so not of me. Please pray as you are lead – Thank You and God Bless!!!

80. Karen says

God sure does have perfect timing! I so needed to hear your words today, Glynnis! I am praying for you and your family. A prayer for me would be to end the 24/7 pain I experience after 2 failed fusion surgeries, 12 years ago. Most days I can get thru, but when issues with our grown children arise, it becomes unbearable. Just too much. I am thankful we can all share our stories and pray for one another. It makes what we all go thru in this life so much more bearable.

81. Jackie says

Glynnis, thank you for your posts I always get something from them. To those who shared, I have been where some of you are, after may years of despair and raising chidlren I am now in a good marriage, but I just lost a long time job due to age discrimination and cannot do anything about it. My unemployment is held up due to something done by the firm I worked for. I need to rely on God for so much right now. I appreciate your prayers.

82. Beth says

Thank you for being so transparent! I really really needed to read this today. It helps to hear other’s struggles and how they deal with the ups and downs of “just life!” We must stay on our knees and lean on His understanding and not our own. God bless you!

83. Janet says

Thank you Glynnis. Please pray for issues we are dealing with related to our daughter who is 27 years old. We adopted her 20 years ago. Still today she lies, manipulates, plays games,etc. You get the idea. She and her 13 month old are living with my husband and me. I have health issues that are complicated by her living with us. Patience and nerves are running thin. We love her dearly, but feel we are enabling her more than helping her. Please pray God’s will is done, and we all keep our sanity.

84. Johanna Tooke says

Thank you Glynnis for real, raw sharing. Since my right brain reins over my left, I appreciate hearing that even left brain dominates pray the same prayers as I do. Most importantly, I appreciate you sharing just enough so that I can join many others in praying for you.

Be blessed,

Johanna

85. Triplet Mom says

I really needed this devotion today, as I try to handle the challenges of raising my special needs son. Not only are there developmental and behavioral challenges, but many medical challenges as well. Right now it’s migraines! Thanks for the encouragement, the wisdom and the prayers today!!

86. Anonymous says

Dear Glynnis,

I really got inspired by your story. I think just like others who have commented, I have also been depending on my own strength rather than God’s. Please pray for me so I can learn to depend entirely on God. I really need God in my life. Please remember me in your prayers!!!!

87. Debbie says

Please pray for me as I struggle with the sudden death of my father almost 2 months ago. He had not been sick and we live in different states. I have been walking around in shock and I cry every morning and every night. I pray each morning to God that he gives me the strength I need to get through the day. I pray again at night thanking God for getting me through that day. I have a lot of guilt, resentment and disappointment that I need to deal with and forgive my father since he left our family when I was 14. I had always wanted a close relationship with him but it was not meant to be. Now that time will never come so I need prayers to help me accept that he is gone and I will need to work through this grieving process. He was a believer in God so I know he is in a better place but my hope of that father/daughter relationship is gone.

88. Diane says

Thank you so much for these encouraging words. God continues to send me little messages to assure me HE is there. My husband has been out of work since Jan 31st, he has been in and out of doctors offices with NO answers to his problem, which he struggles with every day. The company he worked for, SP Newsprint & Fibertechnology, notice I said worked for, was paying him the FMLA pay and this was to end as of July 31st (6 months) but on Tuesday morning following his visit to the mill doctor per their request for checkup status, they had the company secretary call our home and let my husband know that he had been officially terminated and our medical insurance also was terminated as of midnight on Tuesday. He was seeing a neurologist per the company doctor’s request and they both agreed that he needed to see a neurosurgeon before returning back to work. So the company decided that he would not be able to return to his job by designated time, due to this disability so they needed to fill his job. He has been with this papermill for 25 years. WE are devistated, he has no job, no insurance and they have put him on medications that are dangerous to stop suddenly and we have a home and other bills to take care of. Please join me in my prayer for God’s continued Grace for I too know it is enough. I am scared of what is to come, but God’s word tells us only to face today for tomorrow will be tomorrow. Again Thank you for your encouragement.

89. Anonymous says

God bless you for how you are making a difference in the lives of those 5 children and reaching out to women like me. How encouraging you are and I needed this. I need prayer and I need strength, one day I will tell you my story. I think if I told my story from start to finish to a complete stranger it would be good for me. We love and live for Jesus and know the Word. I am a 53 year old divorced widow with an only child who will be a senior this fall. I have a full time stressful job that I am blessed to have but weary. I need God now more than I ever have I know He is there and I know He works all things to our good. I want more, I want my joy back. I need certain aspects of my life broken with a fresh start. I go to work, church on Sunday and Wednesday and then from one appointment, social engagement to the next. Never doing what I am supposed to do, my house/life is out of order and I need to start. Going to get to business clean up my life/house just God and me. Please pray for me. K

90. Mitzi says

Today our two foster kids go back to their mom. I know it sounds awful, but we are glad they are going! :) These past seven months have been full of challenges and your article today so beautifully spoke what I’ve been feeling. These were our first placements and it’s been the hardest thing God has ever asked of me. I learned so much about myself (I’m very selfish!) and about others (my husband is a ROCK and my teenage son is just AWESOMENESS!) and I learned that things are never quite what you imagine they will be. My biggest fear in fostering was that I would get so attached and not want the children to go home (even though reconciliation is our job), but these kids were very hard to love or attach to. We just trust that God has a plan for their lives and what we have tried to plant in them by word (especially His Word) and action will come to fruition one day. Thanks again for your encouragement! :)

91. Anonymous says

Ten years ago my husband and I felt led by the Lord to rescue two Russian orphans, aged 13 and 14. They were essentially street kids and our compassion, not our pragmatism, ruled our increasingly difficult home situation as we found out the complexities of these kids’ past lives and subsequent behavior issues. Our marriage almost fell apart as these children drove us into despair. Ultimately, we sent the boy away after trying to rape our bio daughter. The other orphan was petty and demanding and completely self-absorbed, making herself completely alienated from the rest of the family. There are so many more very painful episodes I could include, including family estrangement due to the situation and the manipulation of the adopted children. Suffice it to say that 10 years down the road, my Russian daughter is settled and married to a lovely young Christian man. She has learned to be more selfless! My Russian son has completely turned his immoral ways around and is aggressively seeking God’s will for his life. They both still have distance to run, but are both headed in the right direction. During the seeming eternal storm of the last 10 years, I asked myself, “Why did God ask us to do this?!” Now I understand that we physically and spiritually saved the lives of 2 children. My youngest bio daughter says that she learned selflessness through it all. We have all learned so much in spite of the painful times. But most importantly we learned that God’s love is unending. He is ‘growing us’ through the trials and the joy of steadfastly looking to Him for our strength daily. Keep your chin up! Read James 1 and continue to obey God’s leading in your life! <3

92. Edwina Cowgill says

Glynnis, Thank you for sharing your story and for your encouraging words. Although I don’t have children with challenges, our challenge is the multiple health issues my husband has suffered with over the last six years. He barely recovers (sometmes he doesn’t recover) before he is hit with another serious illness, and he is always in pain 24/7/365. We have asked God “Why?” But we get no answer. So we try to take things one day at a time. That is why I appreciate you sharing what you pray each morning.

Edwina

93. Carol says

Thank you for your Godly obedience, transparency & encouraging words, ALWAYS.

I am struggling over a long-term situation where I am offered little info: a loved one with mental health issues & the fallout of needed financial assistance & the heartbreak of broken relationships… God continues to provide. I know God is in control & He sees the end & GOD IS GOOD! yet I waver from TRUST to being “worried & anxious over so many things” multiple times a day! I pray daily for healing, hope & a sound mind & the restoration of relationships. Proverbs 3:5&6

94. Sarah says

I had to hold back tears when I read this. I know this all too well, outside of the adoption part I have experienced this overwhelming sense of how am I gonna do this another day. I am a 39 yr old single mom of 5 and a grandma of a 7 month old so I know the challenges you must have. May God keep you close and carry you through those hard days. God Bless and thanks for this post and the words to pray when you need some extra strength from our Father above…:)

95. Toni says

Wow and Amen! Thank you for sharing just enough to keep the focus on God while sharing your heart, struggles, and life. I truly appreciate this post and the encouragement. May God be praised always.

96. Beth says

Wow! Wow! Wow! This spoke to me so much. I am returning to Guinea after a 6 week break in USA . I deal with some health challenges and just before I left for USA I learned that a national coworker who has followed Christ for 20 years was returning to Islam. I was heart broken and feel like I have lost my family. I spent much time with this dear family. I feel like I am re=entering an intense battle field after a brief repose. Thanks for your word on encouragement and for all that Proverbs 31 does to minister to women. When I go to Charlotte next time I hope to visit and meet some of the women who minister to me so often.

97. Shawn says

I love being a mom to my 3 children. One of these kids smokes marijuana frequently. We have prayed for him and with him and will keep praying. I would so appreciate your prayers for him. Tonight I am low and feeling discouraged. Thank you

98. Leonie Brewer says

Dear Glynnis

Thank you for sharing your heart and hope with us girls – we need down-to-earth raw stories like this to keep us going.
    If you have the time, my prayer is that God will make a way for me to be in full time ministry, writing, speaking, teaching and mentoring women / families for the kingdom. At the moment I am working in the secular world from 6am to 6pm and my spirit is dying – my heart is at home and always will be.
    Bless you
    Leonie

99. Fran says

I love the words of Matt Maher sings I NEED YOU LORD, EVERYDAY I NEED YOU.

Please pray for our son , Josh, to make the right choices and to live a life of righteous for God only. GOD to guide his every way.
    Thank-you.

100. Malina says

Thank you so much for sharing. I went through a similar, but I’m sure less strenuous experience when I became the foster parent of my teenage sister when I was 24. Because of the things she endured as a young person we had to work through a lot together and it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. But it was the same, I came to the end of myself and had no choice but to depend on God.

I find myself at the end of myself again as a now 33 year-old finally focusing on me and trying to heal from a lot of I internal issues I have myself. Please pray for my increased strength, hope, joy and faith to believe God will continue to grow me and make my life more and more beautiful by using me as His willing servant.

101. Twyla says

Thank you for blogging. I needed to hear that I would find God’s strength when I come to the end of mine. I am a very organized woman as well and function well in the midst of chaos but I am now at the end of my strength.
    I have 5 children aged 10 through 24. We have according to our pastor more diagnosed disabilities than any family he has ever met. Our youngest has Downs Syndrome and when he was 4 I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis and later with fibromyalgia. That was the end of my strength and I have been relying heavily on God’s strength ever since. Your blog post was a timely reminder of God’s faithfulness.

102. Kelly S says

I don’t know if you remember me, it’s been about nine months, and your blog changed my life literately. I was entering the contest, and I didn’t know where to leave my comment, but I asked for your prayer Since you said we had to leave some kind of comment… when you have just experienced your sisters death. You took your time out, and responded to me, and let me know exactly where to leave my comment so I could win a book. And it really touched me, and I went back and I read the blog about your tragedy, and what you were going through. I couldn’t believe what a selfish pig I was asking for my own frivolous prayers when you were obviously hurting. To just have a comment to win a book. In your blog you shared your story, and you shared about being in the hospital in the experience, and about how other people from church coming to the hospital to bring you food and the people from church for coming and helping you with this and that. And I have been living in my room for 5 to 7 years, only coming out to go to the doctors or go grocery shopping. And it struck me that I could never be one of those people that came to the hospital to help you. And it struck me that God can’t use me in my bedroom as much as God can use me in the church. And me and my son started Going back to church. My son right now is it Churchcamp for the week. And I often tell people the story about how the Internet got me back to church. Sorry to say I have not continued faithfully to go to church that but I do continue to use the Internet to get spiritually fed and I do continue to strive to Get well enough to start going to church regular. I share our story often as a testimony. And I haven’t talk to you a few times on Twitter. You’ve definitely been a life changer for me. And have been in my prayers. And now that I know a little more of your specifics I will pray more specifically for you. Gal 14:14-15

I love your teaching so much, I just got something that was from Proverbs 31, and it had your name on it, so I click I wish I would’ve known nine months ago that I could’ve gotten emails from you! At least I know now! Blessings always, and EXPECT your victory, live as if.

103. Kirstin says

Thank you so much for your blog. I am struggling with disciplining my daughter and her defiance and she is only 3 years old. My husband is out of town this week and I am having to do this alone. My family lives far away, so I feel alone. I also feel that I don’t have the strength … and I have a journal with Phil 4:13 – I can do all things with his strength…and wow, I really needed the reminder today. I am tearing as I write and hope that I can gather the strength as you do and trust in Him today. He will carry me through this. Thank you.

104. Bev says

I so relate to your personal lesson of learning to lean on God for His strength when in a life situation that is beyond our own human strength or abilities! As a foster parent and adoptive parent (also a biological parent and now grandparent), I have had to learn to open my clenched hands and lay down so many struggles, worries, cares, and even heartaches at His feet instead of trying even harder to handle them myself. Thank you for sharing so transparently with others and being a blessing to many!

105. Stefanie says

Thank you for your words. I read your Proverbs 31 devotion and left this comment: “Practically speaking, how do we tap into God’s strength? I believe that what you say is true, but am sometimes befuddled by the “how” in those moments when I feel weak or when life seems overwhelming.” Then, I came here and read your blog post, which kind of answered my question. Basically, get on your knees and pray, pray, pray! I am a young mom with 3 kids, age 3 and under, and it is by far the hardest job I’ve ever had. Our 3rd child, whom we welcomed on May 13th, was born 2 months early and spent a month in the hospital. Life has seemed overwhelming the past few months, to say the least, and there are many days when I wonder if I can do this! But God is sustaining me and I am thankful for His grace and his love and yes, His strength in my weakness!

106. Cindy Carson says

Both my sis and brother/sister-in-law have faced your same issues with adoptive children. Will include you in our prayers. My brother/sister-in-law had amazingly hard times with the two girls they adopted — both with horrific background that were not revealed prior to adoption. They are actually seeing God’s fruit in the SECOND generation — they adopted their grandson and raised him as ason…. he is coming along, and the other daughter never was able to make it “out”…. continues to be homeless, ….. at any rate, a great, young couple adopted two of her children — who are absolutely delightful and bro/sis-in-law are included as grandparents. God is faithful, man is so rough in what we allow to happen to our children. Will be praying for you all. (My sis is still in the middle of it and we’ve seen God’s faithfulness in the resources He has given for each trial….)

Thank you for being open here. Liberia is dear to my heart, as you may remember from our talks at She Speaks in 2011, since I lived there, and had to evacuate during the war. May your daughters continue to find healing in Who and Whose they are, and may God continue to strengthen and equip you each day.

Some of my dear friends and some family members of ours have walked/are walking the harder side of adoptions some days. They children are gifts and so strong too.

Jennifer Dougan

108. Dee says

I am pleased that I discovered your blog today. Thank you for sharing about your encounters with life’s challenges and fears. I appreciate your offer to pray for those of us reading your words. I am a mom of three small children and I struggle greatly with anxiety, depression, and lack of organization. I’ve been a follower of Yeshua (Jesus) most of my life, and I know the L-rd is the source of our strength. So sometimes I fear my faith is too weak or else I would have been healed of these issues by now. I look forward to reading more of your blog entries for encouragement and motivation. G-d bless you for the work you’re doing to draw people to the L-rd. My prayers are with you as well for your family.

109. anne says

hi glynnis
    thanks for your encouraging posts.pray for me to be released from the bondage of debts,we dont seem to get out of the debts.its been very hard and very humiliating.pray me to get clarity on my husband who has been hurting me emotinally and am now rejecting him and i dont love him anymore.i need strength,peace and humility.
    Anne